Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'05 SLK 55
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my SLK 55 into the stealer last week for the "B" service and told them there was a problem with the panic button (found that out after installing the roof controll) and that they just needed to recode the computer to tell it an alarm was installed. Well they asked for the second key to determine if that was the problem. I thought it could not be the case, but decided to amuse them. Second key worked like a charm. Then I remembered back a couple months ago where I left my primary key in my jeans and they made a cycle through the washer and dryer (oops).

Long story short, they determined that it was the key and was covered under warrenty (did not mention the wash part to them). So I went to pick up my new key today and it is the new style key. Looks sooo much better than the orriginal key, silver on the sides, etc. They said that's the only key MBUSA is making now and it is fully compatable with the old key (after being coded with the VIN by the factory). I just have to figure out a way to kill my other old key now so I can get anouther cool new key:).
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
How about another ride through the spin cycle to clean it off?
 

·
Registered
06' SLK350
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
Yeah, the new chrome keys looks nice, thanks for the tip. lol, don't think I'll be doing it anytime soon though.
 

·
Registered
'05 SLK 55
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NewMB said:
How about another ride through the spin cycle to clean it off?

That's a good idea:). Will have to hit anouther stealer though, but they are all linked via warrenty computers. I should wait several months before I try it or I might be left paying $400 for a key I never use. Besides, the second key sits in a fireproof safe 99.9% of the time as nobody else drives my baby but me:)
 

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
Joined
·
3,288 Posts
i had a bad experiance with the new key. the dealer gave me a rental that had the new key, and the key fell apart...the star fell off while the key was in my pocket and the buttons were cracked. The key is also fatter and heavier and means more weight in my pockets (i'm kinda anal about that...i used a dremel to cut my house keys and office keys so i turn the lock with the ring only).
 

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
Joined
·
246 Posts
i guess they didnt have the chrome plated keys for the 06' models? anyways before i got my first SLK last october, i hated my audi key. it was one of those press and pop up (kinda like a knife). it wasn't too durable and got loose after awhile. then thats when i test drove the slk350. when i saw the key for the slk (chrome plated) i instantly fell in love. most people dont seem to care about key designs but for me its pretty important. i would hate to own a porsche 911 turbo and have one of those ugly porsche keys (honda style) when im driving a $140k car.
 

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
I really like the keys made for MB, I hate the long protruding ones, they look so old old old...

And they take up a lot of space, risk snapping (as a friend found out with his BMW keys) or puncturing your ass when you sit on it (another friend with his Mazda keys).

oh dear...
 

·
Registered
06' SLK350
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
MBSLRwannaBE said:
most people dont seem to care about key designs but for me its pretty important. i would hate to own a porsche 911 turbo and have one of those ugly porsche keys (honda style) when im driving a $140k car.
I didn't care about key designs before, now that I have my MB keys, all other keys looks like ancient history technology. It's the only key that I don't mind having in my pocket, it's light, doesn't poke, it's quite the converstaion starter too. People asked where is the key to start the car, when I tell them it's via infrared, they are amazed. I love MB keys, they are the best.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Ynot said:
I didn't care about key designs before, now that I have my MB keys, all other keys looks like ancient history technology. It's the only key that I don't mind having in my pocket, it's light, doesn't poke, it's quite the converstaion starter too. People asked where is the key to start the car, when I tell them it's via infrared, they are amazed. I love MB keys, they are the best.
Ditto. I like to carry the key out in the open, rather than put it in my pocket. (Okay, so I'm a show off.) Great conversation starter because a lot of people haven't seen that kind of key before.
 

·
Registered
2011 SLK 250 BE (R172)
Joined
·
27 Posts
NewMB said:
Ditto. I like to carry the key out in the open, rather than put it in my pocket. (Okay, so I'm a show off.) Great conversation starter because a lot of people haven't seen that kind of key before.
Yep, for example I haven't. Does somebody have a pic of it?
 

·
Registered
04 4Runner V8 Lt, 05 SLK 350, 08 BMW 328xi Coupe
Joined
·
37 Posts
The new style key looks much better but the weight is an issue sometimes. Well... you wanna be pretty, right?
 

·
Registered
2006 Slk 200K
Joined
·
266 Posts
Dr. Aaltonen said:
Thanks. Looks cool. And, to be honest, much better without panic button :)

I was wondering if the 'panic button' is real :confused: !? My key does not have this button - if it really is. Does anyone have more info on this?
 

·
Registered
SLK 200
Joined
·
52 Posts
The key with the panic button is for the States.
In Europe we tend to be cool so no such key for us :)

All in all the key is the same and in the States they jyst get an extra key
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top