Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S420, 1985 560SL, 1993 SAAB 900 Turbo Vert
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well doing the weekly cleaning and was lacking time today so I took my W140 through the car wash. When I pulled out, I noticed that my rear view mirror and driver side mirror were filling up with liquid, as if I had someone behind me with bright lights, any help here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Well doing the weekly cleaning and was lacking time today so I took my W140 through the car wash. When I pulled out, I noticed that my rear view mirror and driver side mirror were filling up with liquid, as if I had someone behind me with bright lights, any help here would be appreciated.
Rear view mirror too?

I just dont know what to say.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
what color is the liquid? it might be the dimmer function failing, since i heard the guys at the dealer talking about the liquid behind mirrors that have the dimming functions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what color is the liquid? it might be the dimmer function failing, since i heard the guys at the dealer talking about the liquid behind mirrors that have the dimming functions.
Yes, it was both mirrors. Very Strange. It was very humid in the drive through car wash, and then about 55 degrees outside. I have never heard of both happening, but I know it has to be related since both of them have liquid going into them but not fully.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Yes, it was both mirrors. Very Strange. It was very humid in the drive through car wash, and then about 55 degrees outside. I have never heard of both happening, but I know it has to be related since both of them have liquid going into them but not fully.
So they both burned out at the same time? Is the passenger side anti-reflection too?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The passenger side is fine, just the rear view and drivers side mirror. Dumb question, but could it be a fuse? I have looked at the trunk and engine bay fuse boxes and I can't find anything that would deal with this. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The material that is leaking into the mirror is called Indium tin oxide.

Basically what has happened is, your mirrors burned up. Water got where it shouldn't have.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The passenger side is fine, just the rear view and drivers side mirror. Dumb question, but could it be a fuse? I have looked at the trunk and engine bay fuse boxes and I can't find anything that would deal with this. Any thoughts?
You will have to buy new ones if you can not still see a good reflection in them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts