Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I had an idea, seeing as it doesnt get too hot down here you could prob get away with getting a 4x5" bit of aluminium and attach it directly onto the radiator surface to increase the air pressure there(instead of air going through the rad at that point) But then again 179k560 has a point even though this mod gave me around a 5-7kw increase at the wheels I challenge anyone to feel that much of a difference in the cars performance, only when your talking 20-30kw increase then your talking a worthwhile mod.
PS nice work damon

·
Registered
91 420 SEL
264 Posts
did u take out the filter in the stock box?? i would assume so i feel like a ard asking but i deff want to do that to my 420... that small 8 just isnt enough to satisfy me!

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
yep the factroy filter was given the hiff and a K&N filter remotely located outside the engine bay were the factory oil cooler used to be, there was a nice funnel effect from the spray guard behind the filter as well as the directed flow from the spot light hole

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Great thread!

I somehow missed it the first time around.

The air intake on the M117 can definitely be improved on as the stock configuration is far from optimal. There are at least three 90 degree bends before the air meets the airflow plate.

Putting several 90 degree bends on your AC will quiet it down real well in your house, but it requires an increase in the duct diameter and a bigger fan.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I was just looking @ my coupes intake yesterday while detailing her up and pulled those front shrouds that go over the initial intake. From what I can tell if you are willing to open yourself up to more bugs/debris you could in theory take out those initial bends/intake and open it up to encompass the whole area which just happens to have a Very nice shot through the front grill. I'd wager @ triple digits you might even get a bit of a ram air effect if you tighten/seal up All the other connections nicely.

I'm thinking that's where I'll be taking the air for my TT's in..now I'll just need to figure out a suitable filtration system.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
jhodg5ck said:
....now I'll just need to figure out a suitable filtration system.

Jonathan
To a motorcycle rider that filtration system for bugs and debris is called "teeth".

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I know this All to well...same goes for all things equestrian!

@ this point I've given up trying to spit them out..it's just easier to swallow the wiggly buggers..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Oh, that server box lunched itself some time ago. Should be putting some serious time in on my site over the next few evenings while my g/f is away.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
I was again looking over this thread. I never did get to see the pictures. If you want to send me the pictures, I can post em on my site so everyone who missed it the first time around can see em.

·
Registered
Look Below besides my DH Mountain and XC bikes
595 Posts
I was again looking over this thread. I never did get to see the pictures. If you want to send me the pictures, I can post em on my site so everyone who missed it the first time around can see em.
Let me know where you post it.. I want to see what everyone is talking about when it comes to the modded intake..

Chris

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
Me too. And what is that part that replaces the stock filter saucer ? The one that's on top of the engine inlet ?

·
Registered
2X2000 BMW M5, 81 500 SEC KS ECE, 91 Alfa 164S
193 Posts
What car does the whose come from?

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,390 Posts
61 - 79 of 79 Posts