Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well just one step closer to getting the full potential out of these engines, if I were keeping this engine id be focusing on an EFI system next, probably from a W140.

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
nice work lander! do you know the part number for the filter ? about how much hp/tq did you gain ? i cant really tell by the graphs..and which setup works best? thanks !

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Lander, how did you cut through the steal ? ...thats kinda freaking me out ! I to i'm pretty yound and its my first car (20 yrs ) so i dont want to mess itu p haha[:p]

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ill try and find the piece I cut out, the metal is just sheet metal nothing major, I used my dremel and rooted it big time, it was already a bit sick as one of the contact plates for the brushes had come off and ate up the brushes which then just pulled off the rest, anyhoo the biggest cutting PITA was the underseal, its pretty thick and youll want a full face visor or at least goggles and a towel to cover your face as the rubber melts and flies right at you and its still molten when you get struck.
Its not really possible to cut the whole hole from the top as there are some akward angles.
Back to the point its hard to screw it up and if you missplace the hole its not going to comprimise the car in any way, it pays to use the brackets mounting holes for guides, a bunch of small mistakes is easyier to fix/fill then one 3" one.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
f1crazydriver - 4/6/2006 6:40 PM

nice work lander! do you know the part number for the filter ? about how much hp/tq did you gain ? i cant really tell by the graphs..and which setup works best? thanks !
The std airbox setup yeilded the lowest torque figure with about 850Nm with the highest reached output (Kw)although only about 2Kw higher then the custom intake at peak.
The red line or the custom intake has higher output(Kw) from 0rpm till 5000 at an average of at least 5Kw higher during this time, torque is higher also at one point almost 100Nm higher until about 5400rpm when it starts to equal out with the std airbox.
The remote filter setup with the std airbox has the highest torque @ 900Nm but as you can see plummets at 4500 as does its power and look at the mixture graph its doing a James Brown and wobbling all over the place.

So my custom setup has more torque and overall power untill about 5500Rpm, but with only 500rpm more till redline and only 2-3Kw diff between the peaks it is the best setup plus the custom setup had a better cruising mixture.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
864 Posts
heh maybe for like bodywork or exterior work im okay with it or installing something in the engine that's simple is fine... but when im gonna have to cut a hole into the bay somewhere im kinda scared i'll f*ck up big time and omg no im just afraid to do it, i swear i hardly know anything about the engine.. y don't u come to cali for summer and u can do it for me?! :D

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
Lander...

When your ready to change your new engine...may I suggest this one...

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
864 Posts
lol well blnk124 (if thats how u spell it) do you know how he did all that and are confident u can do it too? :)

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
c'mon man martha sterwart could do it, its really not messing with the engine at all in terms of fabrication, the easier way would be to use a electric drill and a 3" hole cutting bit thing (if you can get them that big)
mmmm a V24 quad turbo each bloc and have an octi turbo, veyron eat your heart out. All id have to do would be to move the front seats into the back turning the car into an SEC[:p]

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
864 Posts
well i dont have all the equipment but even if i did like.. i just know i'd screw up big time.. im 17 give me a break lol scared to mess with it... i woul really like to do what u did tho..

·
Registered
91' 560SEL, 03' BMW M3, 94' 500E
222 Posts
haha right now im just cleaning up the body of the car and getting ready to install a system. ill let you know when i want to mod the engine. haha i like the look of the stock airbox though no matter how bad it is performance wise [:D]

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
864 Posts
reminds me i gotta replace all my speakers and put an amp in.. someone stole my radio and ripped it right out in sept now all the speakers are messed up.. -sigh- only thingi have done really is no resonators :D

·
Registered
560 SEC
46 Posts
Have there been any developments???

I'd love to hear of anything else that has been, although I feel like the power gains don't justify the modding.

Also, does it make more sense to have two cones at the end of each snorkel with no central air filter? So long as dirty does not enter the throtle, right?

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
For anyone else who may have this question in the future

Lander is no longer using that layout, he has recently done an engine swap
Currently he has an M119 5.0 V8 from an R129 SL under the hood and at this time is running the standard airbox config from an S500 W140

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
excellent thread guys.

speaking of ram air has anyone removed the front-most section of the intake hose, the one beside the headlight that holds the intake tube in-place, and thus eliminating that 90 deg bend.

if you affix the hose to something and put a screen on it you would get complete forced air in. even funnel it.

would that be too much flow?

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
ok i found a pic of what i was thinking of.

if you put your sunglasses on and get past the redness you will see how this guy modified the intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
problem is think of whats covering that opening when the bonnet is down

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
That's right, the bend helps direct air from inside the grille
I have trimmed mine about an inch and a half so it accepts air direct-on more easily but still prefer to keep the rest of the opening as it is

41 - 60 of 79 Posts