Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL w 5OO SEL block, 2005 SL500, 2011 C300
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the 8 seal ring gaskets aka intermediate piece (part# 117-140-0265) while doing the intake manifold gaskets. I bought the only ones available other than the MBZ oem's. MTC brand made in China. I was skeptical but oh, well. It's rubber, not electronics.
After mounting the intake manifold, I discovered I had left the accelerator throttle linkage in between the upper and lower manifolds so I removed them again.
That was when I discovered that plastic retainer rings that surround the rubber seals on 7 of the 8 rings had split open.
The torque on the manifold bolts was only 14 so it's not like I overtightened them. And the rings on the old seals were still in one piece.
I'm inclined to replace them since they must put those retaining rings on there for a reason. They are vacuum seals after all.
Has anyone else had this experience?
The MTC's were cheap, like $1.95 ea at Pelican Parts and the MBZ's are $11.50.
Buy cheap, buy twice.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
This is very weird. I bought AutohausAz rings, which I assume to be non-MB, and they were fine. I don't think that you can "overtighten" this because there are metal stops on the four corners of the lower manifold. I will say, that these are little MF's to install and I liberally lubricated the rubber with Syl-Glyde before assembly. I went through them with a mirror to check that all went well after torquing.

And, this looked like a good moment for me to gratuitously show my progress :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL w 5OO SEL block, 2005 SL500, 2011 C300
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To Strife2 Holy Cow.

That engine is fantastic. You are wonderfully insane. Whatever you do, don't get it dirty.
And thanks for the reply. I'm going to try new seal rings and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,728 Posts
As far as I'm concerned rubber parts are the most critical to purchase from MB. Especially when there in a location like this.

Yes Strife's engine is looking mighty fine.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,148 Posts
This is very weird. I bought AutohausAz rings, which I assume to be non-MB, and they were fine. I don't think that you can "overtighten" this because there are metal stops on the four corners of the lower manifold. I will say, that these are little MF's to install and I liberally lubricated the rubber with Syl-Glyde before assembly. I went through them with a mirror to check that all went well after torquing.

And, this looked like a good moment for me to gratuitously show my progress :)
you, sir, are a bane to the existence of us "regular" owners...
I'd be embarrassed to post pics of my engine.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,728 Posts
If my engine looked like that Id want to make a poly carbonate air cleaner.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I believe that my present engine leaks out of every possible gasket and seal except the head gaskets. I've been very careful on this one to do it right. Of course, when I change the engine I will lose the AOC and CR (Automatic Oil Change and Continuous Rustproofing) systems, respectively.

I kid you not, there may be as much as 1/4" of gunk on the subframe. I am at a loss as to how to clean it when the time comes without creating another Superfund site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts