Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching the forum for some time trying to find a good intake mod and although I am no expert when it comes to these things, I noticed the main problem was with the short supply of cold air from the outside of the engine compartment.

I’ve looked through all the designs by the experts on the forum (extra hose additions with intakes by fog lights, cone filters, est.) The main problem with the cone intake was that you would suck in hot engine air when traveling at slow speeds or in traffic. So this idea just came to me after looking at all the posts and those goofy fake electric “turbos� they sell on Ebay.

I welcome the experts to tear this one apart… and just an FYI, I have not taken any measurements so this is just an elementary idea.

2000 - SLK230

> Remove the intake box, stock ram intake from the front grill
> Install a cone filter (paper/K&N… whichever) on the 3� intake (either replace the pipe or keep stock pipe)
> install smaller cone filter onto the S/C BOV (the one attached to the stock intake box lid) (does not apply for the newer SLKs)
> install an electric bilge blower with then intake facing the front grill of the car.
- The blowers come in various sizes, I found them in 3� and 4� inlet/out. If neither will fit in the spot of the old intake, one can use a flexible hose to route it in.

Such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968682789&category=33600

- Then face the other end of the blower at your cone intake - S/C cone.

> use a sheet of aluminum to isolate the intake and the S/C cone from the rest of the engine compartment and run flush to the blower. Keeping only the pipes and cone in the heat shield. (aluminum sheet can be purchased at any hardware store and bent into shape)

Since the blower is 12v, it will integrate into the car electrical system nicely. A manual switch can be installed with a fuse to control the blower from the inside of the car or an automatic thermostat control such as this can be installed inline to the acc (+) terminal so it turns on/off with your car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7969082911&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

From what I read on these bilge blowers, they displace around 170 – 240 CFM. With the blower moving cold air into the isolated compartment for the intakes, it should bring in quite I bit of fresh air. However I am unsure of the noise level of these blowers, so that can be an issue for some people, however using another fan/blower might solve that problem.

In effect you are pointing a fan/blower at your cold air intake drawing in air from the outside and NOT in any way attaching the fan/blower to your intake pipe or filter.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
yeah i was looking for some type of ugprade for stock intake...

what abot a dROP IN K&N?

and where is the stock DV at? take that thing out to make some Psshh sound heh

damn car is so complicated... i just got it so it'll take some time for me to learn[:)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Here is an idea for you. Make a mold of the area you want to mount your filter. Go to homedepot, automotive store, anyplace that sells fiberglass. Use the mold and layer fiberglass till you have the shape you need. Sand & paint. You have now made an airbox. Use foam insulation to seal the top against the hood, cut a hole for a cold air intake and one to connect to the intake manifold. Select the filer you want.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the fiberglass would work, however i based the whole concept around getting air in from the outside pushed into where the intake is. The construction of the "air box" can really be made of anything heat resistant. Fiberglass is a good idea [:)]

But any feedback on the concept of using a blower/fan to force air into the isolated area of the intake?

Worth it? waste of time? [?]

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
142 Posts
Sounds like something my 76 Fiat X1/9 had. An electric fan would blow air to the carb. It would suck cool air from the outside grill. This was used to keep the fuel from boiling in the carb. It would only come on when it was hot. Only thing is electricity is not free. Your chargeing system will be working more useing up HP.

·
Registered
99 230 SLK Sport
42 Posts
I had the same year X1/9! My favorite was when the breaks went bad and leaked brake fluid all over my shoes.

That was one well built car! [:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Did we all have a Fiat X1/9 in our background? I had a 1976 or 77 X1/9 that I bought in 1985. What a POS. I kept it less than a year. The SLK is the first 2 seater I have had since then.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like i'm just going to try a simple cone intake setup at first with a heat shield.

Thanks-

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The concept sounds interesting ................

I could use a little help on this: [:p]
Engine displacement is about 140 cu. inches, so one full revolution of the engine should draw in about .08 cubic feet of air (1/2 the displacement).
Full speed is about 6,200 rpm, so that would be something like 496 CFM ? Say 500 CFM in round numbers... [:I]
If those numbers are correct, the blowers you show are too small. It makes you ask why the intake port through the radiator bulkhead is so tiny [;)], and then kind of makes me wonder if just putting a larger intake port through the bulkhead, and a larger duct to the stock air filter wouldn't help horsepower some.... [?]

·
Registered
30 Posts
I re-did all of the tubings and the filter. There is no noticeable powergain, running your engine cooler is another story.

Here is the pict. I am planning to cut a hole on the vendor as you said and run an airram effect... but again, It's hard to justify the work considering the minimal gains.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cklasse303, in your first pic... how did you attach the other "valve" sorry i'm not really sure what to call it, the BOV/breather for the supercharger?

or did you just leave it open? [?]

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
i was tinkering around the garage and i finally figured out what that valve on the intake is....

Its a bypass for the supercharger as well as blow air back out when the throttle is closed(when shifting). when the car is idling or when it doesn't need the power, it would draw air in from the by pass valve instead of going through the supercharger(clutch based system)

so yeah def need the filter at the end.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE PIPING?

share the info :)

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Cklasse303 - 4/28/2005 2:34 AM

I re-did all of the tubings and the filter. There is no noticeable powergain, running your engine cooler is another story.

Here is the pict. I am planning to cut a hole on the vendor as you said and run an airram effect... but again, It's hard to justify the work considering the minimal gains.

Gooday

How did you join into the intercooler where the AFM used to be?

Thanks Bazzle

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
OT I know but how do u guys keep ur engines so clean? car wash scrubber wand or something? I am afraid partly to clean it for fear of fudgin something up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts