Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about TRQ performance ignition coils? Im fixing my s500 and saw a set online for $180 and it looks very appealing. But i know you get what you pay for and i dont like cheap quality. But cheap prices doesn't always mean poor quality. Should i try them out or just go with bosch. Im gonna order from fcp euro if i go bosch.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,088 Posts
Whatever fcpeuro sells is good quality because they don’t want returns on their lifetime warranty . So if fcpeuro sells a cheaper brand I would be ok with it

if it’s an eBay or Amazon brand I wouldn’t trust it

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whatever fcpeuro sells is good quality because they don’t want returns on their lifetime warranty . So if fcpeuro sells a cheaper brand I would be ok with it

if it’s an eBay or Amazon brand I wouldn’t trust it
The brand is not from fcp euro its a different brand but i will buy mines from fcp euro if no one has any info on the TRQ performance brand. Im still researching to find more info on them. So far they have a YouTube channel with quite a few videos but sadly no actual data or numbers on their products just claims with no backing.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,372 Posts
The key is to make sure those TRQ ignition coils not made in China, thus junk. About 4 years ago now, I replaced the ignition coils for cylinders 5-8 (yep, all four) on the wife's 2000 S500 with Bosch parts from FCPEuro, and I haven't looked back. She has had no problems since. Car continues to run well with over 150K.

Our 2003 S430 is still running on what looks like the original Genuine-MB ignition coils (also made by Bosch, I believe), with 164K miles. Runs great.

Reactions: The young legend

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anyone know anything about TRQ performance ignition coils? Im fixing my s500 and saw a set online for $180 and it looks very appealing. But i know you get what you pay for and i dont like cheap quality. But cheap prices doesn't always mean poor quality. Should i try them out or just go with bosch. Im gonna order from fcp euro if i go bosch.
why not just replacing the bad ones if you have some , seen cars with 250k and same coils .easy to diagnose bad coils . i dont like replacing good parts .

·
W220 Moderator
7,945 Posts
Coils on these Engines fire each (of 2) Spark Plugs 5 times, so that is 10 sparks per Cylinder (Coil Pack) per 2 engine revolutions, and depending upon what info the ECU is seeing from sensors, it will vary the Timing of each and every spark, pretty cool and powerful ECU huh ;)

So at 3000 rpm each cylinder gets 15000 sparks per minute, or 250 Sparks per second ..................................
This is how they are so smooth and develop as much power as they do ;)

The only brand of Coils anyone should be considering are MB, and Spark Plugs NGK Iridium, perhaps Bosch if you're a fan, this is also why high quality sensors are so important ;)

As said only replace things when they are broke, if it ain't broke don't fix it !!

HTH ;)

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why not just replacing the bad ones if you have some , seen cars with 250k and same coils .easy to diagnose bad coils . i dont like replacing good parts .
Indeed, My car was sitting for 4 years so i was just gonna replace them i dont even think i need too. But just incase. Im waiting for my gas tank to come. Then ill be replacing the injectors and spark plugs. Hopefully it fires up with the new tank. And ill just go with FCP EURO.

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,197 Posts
I would go with FCP as well. I am only 30-40 min away from them and they are excellent to deal with. Not to mention all of their products are authenticate and not the BS you get on ebay or amazon.

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless there is a known problem, I would never consider replacing a factory coil.
Yeah i mean i plan on tuning the car and putting a custom exhaust but its no big deal to me to change them out if i need to. I always keep my old parts just incase. But we will see.

·
Registered
2005 S600
782 Posts
Coils like that work or they don’t. Pretty simple parts.

I’ve got Bosch coils with almost 300,000 miles on them in my wife’s Volvo (different car make, but same coil manufacturer and same basic design with coil on plug) and changed just one of them over the years. The other four are fine. Save your money.

Also, don’t expect much from a tune on your engine. It’s normally aspirated. Already designed to run on premium. What can the tune enhance? Not boost, so no air increase. Not fuel delivery or it’ll just run rich. Timing is already optimized for premium, so... what can be reprogrammed in the ECU that will increase performance?

Reactions: The young legend

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A tune is not even possible when His car doesn’t even start.

And I still say it’s not the fuel tank causing the problem
Already went to the dealer and had them diagnose it. Tank is no good. Rusted Inside and also cannot get the fuel strainer off. I assume the rust is stopping it from getting gas through the lines. Aside from that i mean just new injectors and fresh fluid.

And as far as tuning im positive i can get at least 50+ HP gain from tuning. Not that complicated. I got a s550 thats tuned as well and that thing is a monster.

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also not sure if you guys are used to customizing your mercedes but i intend on doing exactly what i want with mines. I work on my own cars and not really afraid of things going wrong. But ill post pics of the finished product when im done fixing it up.

·
Registered
2005 S600
782 Posts
You really think you'll get 50 HP? How, exactly, do you think that's going to happen on a normally aspirated engine?

The S550 has twin turbos - so, a tune cranks up the boost and makes a difference.

Short of bolting a supercharger on your engine, how, exactly, will a tune work on this car?

Already went to the dealer and had them diagnose it. Tank is no good. Rusted Inside and also cannot get the fuel strainer off. I assume the rust is stopping it from getting gas through the lines. Aside from that i mean just new injectors and fresh fluid.

And as far as tuning im positive i can get at least 50+ HP gain from tuning. Not that complicated. I got a s550 thats tuned as well and that thing is a monster.

·
W220 Moderator
7,945 Posts
You will need Kleeman Cams and other work to get an extra 50 HP+ out of an N/A 5.0 M113 ........................

I seriously know what I'm doing with these Engines, the one I fitted in my R170 SLK was from a W220, 302 HP bone stock, add 14 hp for premium fuel and ROZ correction adjustment with developer mode to unlock the ECU.

On regular Un-Leaded Fuel I added 76mm Free Flowing Full Exhaust Exhaust, Secondary De-CAT, 76mm Cold Air Intake Tubes, K&N Filter Panels and a Eurocharged Flash File Tune ............ That got me 32 HP, so it is now at 334 HP ..............

Add Kleeman Cams it should see 355 - 360 and that will be it, perhaps a tad more, (circa 10 HP) if running Premium Fuel / ROZ Correction ;)

The above numbers are not "Internet or Salesman" figures, they are as measured on RR !!

·
Registered
2005 S600
782 Posts
A tune that optimizes intake mods, cams and headers, sure. You’ll see gains.

Most of the power comes from the increased flow of the cams, headers, intake etc... more air=more fuel=more power. That’s old school, and I’ve done carbs (old school) cams, intake and exhaust, and high lift rockers (really old school) on engines for just such gains.

But you’re just not gonna’ get much out of an ECU reflash by itself, which is what the OP is planning, unless the engine is turbocharged. In that case, the flash raises boost. More air, which = more fuel, which = more power.

A simple ECU flash on a stock engine won’t yield much, because the amount of air going through it won’t change.

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah i plan on putting aftermarket stuff and upgrading some things. But we will see. First i got to get this thing running and then ill see what i can do with it. But a tune is gonna happen. And the s550 i have is a 2007.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts