Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. I purchased an '83 240D yesterday-- gold with 204k miles. The guy who owned it listed it for $4000 but dropped it to $1000 when he hit a pot hole and bent the rear rim. He was just annoyed and when he bent the rim, he also noticed that the speedometer and mielage counter was no longer functioning.

I assume that these old guys have wheel speed sensors. It's the passenger side rear wheel that got damaged. Does it sound like a wheel sensor?

Also, can someone tell me what the best (1) service guide for this (2) parts supplier and (3) indispensible reference information (specific quirks of the vehicle- like what kind of motor oil is best for this, etc).

I really appreciate it. I plan to stick around and help out once i learn more about my 123. It's going to be a biodiesel within the month. I'm building my own little production plant for it.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
stabmaster - 3/6/2005 4:03 PM

hi. I purchased an '83 240D yesterday-- gold with 204k miles. The guy who owned it listed it for $4000 but dropped it to $1000 when he hit a pot hole and bent the rear rim. He was just annoyed and when he bent the rim, he also noticed that the speedometer and mielage counter was no longer functioning.

I assume that these old guys have wheel speed sensors. It's the passenger side rear wheel that got damaged. Does it sound like a wheel sensor?

Also, can someone tell me what the best (1) service guide for this (2) parts supplier and (3) indispensible reference information (specific quirks of the vehicle- like what kind of motor oil is best for this, etc).

I really appreciate it. I plan to stick around and help out once i learn more about my 123. It's going to be a biodiesel within the month. I'm building my own little production plant for it.
Hello and welcome!

As far as I know the only ones with speed sensors might be the ABS-equipped cars. And if memory serves, they're on the front wheels. So I can't help you on your speed sensor query.

Service guide:

The Online Tech Thread should provide more than enough information. Skinnerbox Steaky also provides alot of PDF (Adobe Reader) files you can download and print out.

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1172059&posts=20&fid=10

Parts supplier:

www.germanstar.net
www.performanceproducts.com
www.autohausaz.com
www.mercedessource.com
www.parts.m b z.o r g (remove spaces)

Search around for a particular topic you're interested in. I'm sure it's been covered once or twice. Goodluck!

·
Registered
1980 300D
309 Posts
First thing - buy a vacuum measuring and testing device - it will save you from situations where cartoon question marks circle your head as you try to figure out what is going on with your beautiful oil burner...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will try to get some pics tomorrow. i'm working on getting the little things done that need done on a $1000 vehicle. i have a bit to learn about diesels, too.

does anyone know what kind of spark plugs i should put in it? [:eek:)]

·
Registered
56 Posts
If your not joking about the spark plugs. (are you joking? lol i cant tell)

Their glow plugs and put bosch in.

·
Registered
1983 240D 4 speed
102 Posts
"Spark plugs", that's cute[8)].
Your 240D is going to LOVE biodiesel, providing you do it right, of course. Word to the wise though, there is a screen sediment filter inside the fuel tank that is going to clog up big time with all that residual dino gunk that has been in there forever just waiting for an occasion such as this to come lose. I suggest that you remove it an strip the screening off and then replace it with an exterior in-line filter, such as the ones available from marine supply houses;
http://www.marinegeneral.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Fuel_Filters_Water_Separators___Senders___Misc__347.html
Scroll down to "Universal... Filter".
I also homebrew BD and the car is very happy with it.
If you want a couple of ideas about what to do in building your reator have a snoop at mine:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor12.html I no longer participate in their list forum however the information there is very valuable.
B100 (100% biodiesel) will purge the system quicker than blends, usually within a couple tank fills, but once it is done it is done for good.
You can't enjoy a Benz too much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey BioBenz. I've actually seen some posts of yours on other biodiesel boards. I like your writeup. I am a chemical/biochemical engineer and an organic chemist... working currently as a chemistry instructor at humboldt state university-- I haven't done much research on the matter but I think I am just going to toss something up and see how it works. I like the heater and standpipe designs. I'm going to make my reactor a hybrid -- running an electric water heater with a solar water heater and heat exchanger. If i choose the right times of the day, I hope to be able to run a solar and a PV panel entirely for the conversion.

Unlike you, i will probably go overboard - i want it to be completely gravity fed from the first step and run at least 2 wash tanks (1 bubble and 1 mist/spray). So it will be basically a 55 gallon drum festival by the time i'm done. Minimizing pumps and valves and maximizing control at each step is the object.

I appreciate your words of wisdom and I will be doing what you said. BTW did you change out any hoses to viton or anything? I noticed entirely metal lines up to the first fuel filter. BTW i also noticed that my benz has a prefilter and a small fuel filter inline. Is this the case for all diesels? Is there something i should do besides replacing the old prefilter and inline fuel filters?

thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts