Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday, a tenant of a picky landlord had two days to move her car or have it towed by landlord at her expense. Needless to say..she could not afford to tow,repair,other. Sad. She turned out to be 2nd owner of this car. We had to bring a battery/flatbed/jumper cables to start it.( It sat 2 years). Got it home. Vac'd interior..some minor fixes. Dumped old smelly gas out of tank. Dumped oil. Got fuel filter, spark plugs, oil filter, oil. Tires are 2 years old..no wear. Body and paint are amazing. Having fun working on it in a heated shop. Hope we love it.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,930 Posts
Welcome to the poor house!

There's nothing more expensive than a cheap old Mercedes is a maxim that's common round here.

Seriously, I hope it works out for you.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,509 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope to see some pictures down the road. How many miles on the ODO? Hopefully the tripmeter is not stuck at 000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum. Hope to see some pictures down the road. How many miles on the ODO? Hopefully the tripmeter is not stuck at 000.
It has plenty of miles but not hard wear... good compression/tranny feels strong,handles well,a/c-heat works, need to dig into the driver window...I had a new one in 1990... I loved it.

We also have an older Land Rover Discoll (Black Betty) and a black Beetle named Hitler...(love/hate there-fun to drive)
The new ole rig is Helga4- I will attach some pics when I can. I have some interior cleaning (rugs- not too bad).

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,265 Posts
Calamityj Welcome to the forum . Nice to know i am not the only Mercedes owner that strugles to keep an old Benz on the road. At one time i was well off .Well not over wealthy but i could do what i wanted,, and have anything i needed .Then came along the Benz , it was given to meny my cousin after he up and purchased a brand new bmw [poor him] . Then it was spend spend spend . Got to a point now where ii just buy parts i dont need .And i tend to do jobs that do not need it . But i love it ..The pictureas this time last year with the wing on the table .We had words the war depot [ wife] and me .I was toldto remove it for the Christmas lunch,ha ha .

Attachments

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,509 Posts
Sounds very familiar Plinker. I have no idea why I just purchased a NOS shifter plate when mine is already in fine shape? I will have to dedicate a closet in the garage to all these parts I'm collecting (NOS and JY) for no good reason.

Nice looking Amp on the right side. Vintage?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the welcoming... here is my other transportation when all else fails, or I need to take whiskey and ride in the woods... 0424181343a.jpg

·
W201 Moderator
2,509 Posts
Nice. We'll take the pony picture as a down payment for the upcoming W201 pictures!

- Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure ya'll already know that Mercedes Benz customer care ROCKS! I needed my radio code, gave me code, followed up...very nice. I wanted to keep it ole school. Got everything working except fogs...so far.

·
W201 Moderator
2,509 Posts
Looks great! The fog light plastic cover is NLA and aftermarket replacements do not exist as far as I know. Most owners change the entire headlight fixture as a pair to euro spec one for about $200. They are well engineered and look good, also the lens is glass instead of plastic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have headlight "doors" on the way...got a pair. They are hard to find. We have a couple of parts cars nearby for some other stuff. I have watched "Mercedessource" on U-tube,Kent Bergstra is a good "how-to" source for us. I am thinking of putting a bluetooth radio in it after thinking of creature comforts. She has had a good detailing since that pic.

BTW...if your driver window regulator is not operable, try taking your window switches out of console and clean R&R...ours went right up! TG...we didn't have to dig out the door panel!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts