Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new here to this forums. I know mercedes very well my parents have had mercedes for as long as I can remember and I currently have a 2010 C63 AMG which I drive once in a while.

One of my favorite cars growing up was the R129 SL500 and the last couple months Ive been looking all over for one. Seems as though they sell as soon as someone puts it up for sale.. Anyways I found one locally (In chicago) at a luxury used car lot; a White 1998 SL500, W/ 93,000 original miles.

I saw the carfax and although it had about 4 owners, the entire history is clean, and it the last owner bought it from a reputable dealer this summer and leased it only for a month. Its been a florida car all its life, when the other dealership bought it at an auction.

The dealership is selling it for 7900+TTT W/ a one month full coverage warranty; They replaced the soft top, has the hard top, the exterior is in immaculate condition- no rust, no damage, etc. The interior has a few damaged trim pieces and the steering wheel leather is a bit worn out. It started right up and seemed to have no problems, however I haven't test driven it yet Im going to go sometime in the next couple of days.

Any advice? Anything I should look out for when i am test driving it? Is it a good price or is it worth less?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Without actualy seeing the car it's always difficult to say for certain, but at that price for that year with that mileage, it appears to be a bargain. History seems a bit iffy, why isn't anybody hanging onto it for long? Missing trim parts might be difficult / expensive to find especially if color coded. Worn out steering wheel might indicate higher mileage. And ditch the wheels for AMGs IMHO. I think if you can satisfy yourself with regards to these points, it's a good buy especially with a warranty (but check what it covers). Make sure everything works as it should especially the soft-top / hardtop electro-hydraulics. You may find the performance a bit disappointing after a 6.3 AMG, but getting the roof down more than makes up for that when your cruising at 5 mph. Good luck, let us know how you get on. Regards Steve

·
Registered
391 Posts
Seems wonderful-make sure it isn't a hurricane car.

spend $100 and get it checked by an expert you trust.
check the inside mirror to see if its tight and adjusts without wobbling.
put the top up & down-
is the roll bar warning light on?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just a little reminder there are no bargain from a dealership,not in Chicago and not anywhere else.
Color combination wouldn't be my first choice.
Watch out for leaking soft top cylinder,any engine or transmission oil leaks,AC works fine no lights on the dash board up ,also check suspension

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I now have a nice list when I go see it again this weekend! Im not really trying to cheap out on getting an SL, but I have seen some SL's out there with 120k+ miles out there where people are asking $15k and then I saw one yesterday-a 90 500sl with 150k for $8,000?

Im just looking out for an SL with the right balance of Miles, price and maintence so i dont have a second money pit lol.

If I do decide on buying it, first things im getting are AMG monoblocks. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
My advice is to read this sticky post : R129 SL Purchasing Tips & Advice - Archived Topics. There's a ton of info there about buying an SL.

As to the AMG wheels, if you like the look then you might be happier waiting for a car with the sport package. Both of the example photos that you posted have the AMG lower body trim - it makes a real difference in the appearance of the car.

·
Registered
873 Posts
/\ I used to think that before I bought my car at a bargain price from a dealer for $8999. Bargains can be had at small dealerships. He was selling it for a friend who needed the money. It did not have AMG trim or wheels and the color was not my first choice. After purchasing and driving for a while, I couldn't care less. The car is as sweet with or without AMGs, performs well and turns at least as many heads as my Porsche 930 turbo, Mitsubishi 3000GTVR4 twin turbo, MBZ 560SEC, Porsche 944 or Jaguar XJ12L ever did.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got a change to go see the car today. Test drove it and everything, no issues the suspension was great as well as the breaks. The only issue is that the SRS light is on, and my mechanic said it was because of a faulty seat belt sensor wire on the passenger side. The top is brand new, and functions great, hydraulics and all as well as the roll bar. The heat and air con work as they should, i need to swap out the sound system head unit since its not working.

I also negotiated the price to $7500 along with the 1mo/1000 mile warranty and im going to most likely go pick it up on monday! Also found a clean set of monoblocks with good rubber for 4 bills on craigslist..

·
Registered
813 Posts
That sounds like a pretty nice deal to me! I know from experience that if the SRS light is on, even if you fix the problem, it still has to be reset by the Star diagnostic system (DAS). (Although some have had luck with disconnecting the battery. I have not been able to confirm this.)

Of course, once you have it we demand pictures and updates!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The steering wheel leather being worn could be because it was elderly woman-owned. I have seen worn steering wheels in cars with 25k miles that are driven by old women. I think it's their makeup or skin lotion or something tehy they put on

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Of course, everyone can't get the deal I got. $1300 for my 91 300SL. It needs a trans but my close friend is a trans mechanic and is building it for the cost of the parts. I also just scored a Pano top for $1800.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
loooney2ns,

$1,300 for an SL, $1,800 for a Pano; your lucky star is shinning on you!

Congrats...you should buy some lottery tickets.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Good luck it looks nice to me. but do take the advice already told and have it checked out,then if ok enjoy the new ride. Just the fact that it has a new top, and the hydro's are all working is a big plus. that alone is big $$$ on these cars. 3 to 4 K $$.the srs will go on if the pass wire comes off. mine did I pluged it in and fixed. the light just went off. see if you can take it to a indy who can check it with a computer for codes and check for leaks. It is a fun ride topless. most people change the radio. Good find but if not it is a soft market on these cars i think. dont rush into anything once you buy it it's yours good or not.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
HaHaHa.......funny stuff. This post is two years old. You're congratulating him on his new purchase for a car he's owned for two years. Actually, look at his info. This thread is about a 98' SL500 but he owns a 1990 300SL. So, even funnier....getting congratulated for a car you didn't buy. Sorry.....I just had to mention it! In two years, I expect y'all to congratulate me too. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 1998 SL500 with 171K and I am the second owner. The SRS light happened to me and I thought it could be the seat sensor, as well....But, it turned out to be the electronics in the steering column (easy to get to, but you have to remove the steering wheel). Also, the horn was not working and this fixed both as it was related to each other. The cost was about $500.00. I would also suggest replacing the combo switch on the column while you have the steering wheel off, as that failed too (may be related to the number of miles on my car).

Outside of the regular maintenance, the engine and tranny have never been worked on and i get around 23-25 MPG on the highway and 14-20mpg (depending how I drive) in the city.

ENJOY!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
HaHaHa.......funny stuff. This post is two years old. You're congratulating him on his new purchase for a car he's owned for two years. Actually, look at his info. This thread is about a 98' SL500 but he owns a 1990 300SL. So, even funnier....getting congratulated for a car you didn't buy. Sorry.....I just had to mention it! In two years, I expect y'all to congratulate me too. ;)
LMAO.. :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

That's what happens when I stay up too late reading the forum! But I did just get mine.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Last yr. My SRS light was on, I changed the Pass. seat cushion with the CHILDSMART sensor in it and the SRS light went out and NO reseting was done??? The system has been flawless for over a yr. now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts