Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
stroessel - 4/2/2005 6:16 AM

Hello guys,
i've bought two new Hella De Xenon and would like some opinions on where I should mount them...?
Option 2 is best, IMO. The other two place them a little too low, and in #3 part of the horizontal spread is blocked by the grille guard.

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Hi,

An alternative: Cut two appropriate holes in the lower grille (near the outer ends) and fit them to the very sturdy crossbar that runs just behind. That way they will be protected - also from theft, which can be a problem with Xenons.

Birger

·
BenzWorld W211 Host
E270 CDI -03
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: Connection Q....

dewdaltz - 4/3/2005 1:58 AM

Stroessel, where did you connect your Hella De Xenon for POWER?
Option B is better.
I previously had 4 Hella Luminator Xenon on my car...

So I'm going to use the old wiring that was used to power them.

I believe they are connected as the mounting instructions that came with the lights show.
I can scan the wiring diagram if you want...? [:)]

And I have'nt really decided on where to mount the lights. Almost every one of my friends say option A but you guys seem to like option B better [?]
My judgement say option B but I donät know what is best looking [;)]

·
Registered
397 Posts

Now THAT:

(4 Hella Luminator Xenon) is what I call some serious lighting.

Why did you remove them?? - in combination with the retrofit Bi-Xenons one would have been able to see you go down the roads of Sweden from the Moon[:)][;)][:)][;)]

Cheers from Luxembourg,
Birger

PS: I would still consider a custom install in the lower grille - much neater.

·
BenzWorld W211 Host
E270 CDI -03
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Birger - 4/5/2005 11:46 AM

Now THAT:

(4 Hella Luminator Xenon) is what I call some serious lighting.

Why did you remove them?? - in combination with the retrofit Bi-Xenons one would have been able to see you go down the roads of Sweden from the Moon[:)][;)][:)][;)]

Cheers from Luxembourg,
Birger

PS: I would still consider a custom install in the lower grille - much neater.
Hehe, well...I did'nt think they looked nice at all with 4 giant lights blocking the grille [;)]

Just 5min ago I removed the lower grille and squeezed the small Hella DE Xenons' in place just to see how it looked.
It's probably the best solution! Thank you Birger [:)]

So on friday/saturday I'm going to cut out the holes and make the installation.

I will return with pics!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

·
BenzWorld W211 Host
E270 CDI -03
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well well...

It's all done.
Except for aligning them. As you see on the pic the right one point up and the left one points down.

I think it turned out OK.
If I could have it undone...I think I would =/

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi, stroessel

It's not bad at all - I'm only a little surprised that you put them so close to the center line of the ML (but being long-range lights, it's still legal), and that you had to cut the bumper as well. I had thought of a position more to the exterior edges of the lower grille, and maybe just having the front of the lights "peek" though the grille, thus avoiding cutting the bumper itself. But without popping the hood on my own ML, it's difficult to see if there are any conflicts behind the bumper to do that.

Good luck with the aligning.

Birger

·
BenzWorld W211 Host
E270 CDI -03
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Birger - 4/7/2005 6:49 PM

Hi, stroessel

It's not bad at all - I'm only a little surprised that you put them so close to the center line of the ML (but being long-range lights, it's still legal), and that you had to cut the bumper as well. I had thought of a position more to the exterior edges of the lower grille, and maybe just having the front of the lights "peek" though the grille, thus avoiding cutting the bumper itself. But without popping the hood on my own ML, it's difficult to see if there are any conflicts behind the bumper to do that.

Good luck with the aligning.

Birger
Well you see the xenon lights are quite deep so there was no room putting them so they could "peek" through the grille. They peek out about 3cm from the bumper.
And I wanted them as far out to the edges that I could get them but there were stuff in the way and I would have had to cut even more of the bumper then I already have.

It took a couple of hours for the look to "melt in" and I honestly like it now. Looks better in reality then in the picture [:)]
The only thing that bothers me now is the scratches I got in the paint when screwing up with the drill [:(!]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts