Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi BenzWorld
I have a 2003 R230 with foggy headlights. I have tried to get them refurbish on the outside but the fogginess apperently comes from the inside of my Xenon headlight glass. Is it possible to buy a new set of glass or is there somebody who knows how to refurbish them from the inside?

Best regards
Henrik Hoier
Denmark

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
Hi Henrik, get ready for some pain. The right way to do this is using a magnetic cleaning pad soaked in cleaning fluid that you introduce from one of the light bulb openings using a grabber tool or similar. You then need to get another magnet on the outside of the bulb to clean the inside of the lens, just like a magnetic fish tank cleaning tool.

If you drop the cleaning pad in the reflector base while you're cleaning, it will create a mark where you drop it - so that's fun. Then you need a way to fish it out. There is a professional kit that someone sells in EU, so maybe check this out or take to a workshop who has one.

I watched this video and make my own cleaning set using a small neodymium magnet wrapped in foam, wrapped in a microfibre pouch that I sewed together, this was the cleaning pad. I then attached a string in case I dropped it inside the light housing so I could pull it back out. I used a flexible 'grabber tool' wrapped in tape to avoid it scratching anything to insert the cleaning pad into the light. Basically watch this video and you get the idea. It looks much better now but it was a real hassle and I'd probably just buy the kit or buy new lights if I did it again. The main issue was dropping the pad getting it in or if the magnet breaks contact and it falls on the silver lens. I used a mix of alcohol and some detergent as a fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you're great reply "harlz". Unfortunately the glass are not dirty but sems to be burnt by the xenon, can that be true?

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
If the marks are on the inside then the only way to clean them off will be via this method, unless you can somehow disassemble the lights. For that I think you need to remove the front bumper and this might be a lot more work. I haven't heard of any xenon lamps burning the lend but I suppose it's possible with a non-standard lamp perhaps?

·
Registered
SL 550 2007, Previous: E55 AMG 2000, 450 SE 1979, 500 SL 1992, SL500 1998
340 Posts
Unfortunately there is no replacement lens, you can remove your current lens by removing the headlight unit, putting it in oven to soften glue or use heat gun,. I am going to do this myself., my headlight lens has yellowed plastic but is transparent so the yellow-ness so to speak probably permeates the lens, probably I will need a replacement headlight unit to make it look fresh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts