Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, was goin for the Supersprint header since I already have the Supersprint muffler but I cam over 2 other ones. Does these look any good?

They are both polished T-304 stainless performance with Tig Weld but the last one is for racing only. Dont understand why it's racing only

Attachments

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
They look shiny, And whats not to like about shiny :D

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
it has one extra exhaust port you only need 3 per side...:p
The fourth port is for the cabin heater........ :big laugh:

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Horrible desgin. The only positive thin is that it is shiny and will brighten up your engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The piping does not flow each tube equal length and will actually hinder exhuast flow. My Supersprint header did not give me any HP gain but I did receive a nice bump in lbs. Right after the Supersprint header was installed a dyno was ran and the lbs was 220 which translates to 260lbs (18% power train loss) so the Supersprint header will help you with your heavliy modified M62.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The piping does not flow each tube equal length and will actually hinder exhuast flow. My Supersprint header did not give me any HP gain but I did receive a nice bump in lbs. Right after the Supersprint header was installed a dyno was ran and the lbs was 220 which translates to 260lbs (18% power train loss) so the Supersprint header will help you with your heavliy modified M62.

Okey, guess I should go for the supersprint. How was it to install?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

Linh installed it but now I could do it in my sleep. I ws not very mechanically savy at the time. Remove bypass, supercharger, and OEM manifold with heat shield. Then install new gasket, Supersprint header, then supercharger and bypass. Ensure Bypass vacume lines are reatached. Buy the correct tools at any auto parts stores. It is a snap. You will have to cut the OEM piping where the new Supersprint header down pipe clamps onto the OEM piping. Clamp provided by Supersprint works quite well. I will send you photos. Email me at [email protected] for photos and a more detailed instruction list but it is not that hard if you are mechanically inclined.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Linh installed it but now I could do it in my sleep. I ws not very mechanically savy at the time. Remove bypass, supercharger, and OEM manifold with heat shield. Then install new gasket, Supersprint header, then supercharger and bypass. Ensure Bypass vacume lines are reatached. Buy the correct tools at any auto parts stores. It is a snap. You will have to cut the OEM piping where the new Supersprint header down pipe clamps onto the OEM piping. Clamp provided by Supersprint works quite well. I will send you photos. Email me at [email protected] for photos and a more detailed instruction list but it is not that hard if you are mechanically inclined.
Email sent! The only thing I wonder is how it looks under where the clamp are :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I install Supersprint headers on my BRABUS 230k last month by my self. It is at least 8 hours job if you are skilled mechanic and have all the tools.

You dont have to remove supercharger on PreFl to instal SS headers, but you have to remove air box with all conections, kompressor alu outlet, secondary air system, stock headers with shields, oil separator, and O2 sensor, then you have to go down under the car; From there you will have to take protective shield down, then disconect (cut) exhaust write after (before, if you are looking from front of the car) the cats, disconect exhaust mounting points at the front. Then reconect SS headers with clamps you will get in the SS package and vice versa with connecting everything back together. Oh, and you also need new OEM header gasket (it is not included in Supersprint package). In my case clamps were not enough to make exhaust leakless; i had to went to the weld shop, which weld down all new connections from headers to cats (around clamps) to make my exhaust system really leakless.

Btw you will have to modified secondary air pipe (from SC to engine head on exhaust side), or you may do it like i did- i eliminate this secondary air pipe (and all secondary air system) totaly, because i dont mind higher cold running emissions (that is all that is secondary air system use for). But with elimination of secondary air system i gain some boost, because now boost is no more loosing at the long secondar air pipe. No other symptoms noticed after elimination of secondary air system, except of slightly higher boost. Please ask me if you have some more questions...

All in all i am very happy with SS headers. It gives much more punch then for example big Intercooler. It give nice bass to the exhaust sound and engine have aproximately 10 more HP (if not more on modified 230k). Really, really happy with this mod!! Worth every penny!!! But DO NOT go into the instalation if you are not mechanicaly skilled and if you dont have all tools you will need!! That is my advice!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What special tool to you need? Looks like 12mm nut on the manifold but alittle hard to reach cuz of all the bends, pips and shields but I hope it will get better when I remove all of this. Was gonna do it this weekend but something came in the way, so I'll be goin it this week..

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the SS header is installed and I'm not very happy. The aliment on the pipe was bad, needed to twist and bend the pipe much to make it fit where the old one was. Also the clamps are leaking like hell, like you said Snogards. I can't feel any power increase, just powerloss but that you be beacause of the leak?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Sorry about your troubles.

Looking at the design of the header I would not be surprised to see a power loss with or without the exaust leak. The design is rubish.

The SuperSprint headers look good and I would have expected them to add power but that is not what is being reported.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I never had any hp gains. No dyno proven gains at all. I had a few lbs, maybe 2lbs but that is it. I have been posting this info for some time now but if you have a leak then that is another story. Call them before you start welding anything and I would talk to them. The install on both my header and the muffler was like OEm fitment. Better I think so I am quite surprised by this turn of events. Get the leak issue fixed and then run the header with the M62 you have on the way. It may help you as Snogs said he noticed a nice gain and he is a double pulley guy!

L

·
0 Posts
If it leaked then you guys didn't have all the piping align up right. When I did the installation on Steve's car, I didn't prepare or have any clues what kind of tools in need for the job and we went to buy tools as the job went along. Everything turned out a perfect installation. The secrect to prevent leak from those clamps is, tight all the clamps down first before you tight down the exhaust bracket. This will prevented piping from mis-alignment. As for the power gains, we have been telling you guys for years.......but some still doesn't listen. What a waste of money !!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts