Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I recently (4 months ago) picked up a 95' e320 wagon with 80k miles.

When I purchased the car, the head gasket was leaking so i had it done under warranty, along with the wiring harness (phew).

Problem is, the mechanic who did the work did sort of a hack job. When I got it back, the car was idling really badly. Rather than take it back to hack mechanic, I got my hands dirty. Since then the following has been replaced:

-OVP

-Throttle Actuator replaced with reman from BBA- Wiring was shot on the original.

-Plugs/Coils/Wires replaced with new Bosch items.

-Ran through much of the vacuum system and replaced and re-connected lines that had been put back in the wrong place or in a worst case scenario replaced with random T-s with screws stuck in them that the "tech" had obviously found around the shop.
-Cam position sensor was kind of loud so I changed that.

The car obviously idles much better now, and until it warms up will idle "perfectly" if a little high. When the car warms up to temp however it will "miss" ever so slightly and feel kind of lumpy. It idles around 500rpm and every once in a while will stutter or falter. The car is also down on power from a start and on occasion when coming to a stop will feel like its about to stall.

I have pulled the DTC codes and get the following:

Pin 8:
25- CMP sensor (L5/1) implausible/not recognized (segment control) Camshaft Hall-effect sensor (B6/1) implausible/not recognized (increment control)

33-Maximum retard setting on at least one cylinder has been reached/Ignition angle deviation between the individual cylinders is > 6° CKA.

Pin 14- Code 2- CC/ISC control module (N4/3)

-I did pull the battery over night to clear the codes and they came back. I dont have a check engine light, but these codes are stored.

A couple possible scenarios come to mind.

-I am starting to think that its possible that hackjob mechanic didnt time the engine properly. Does anyone in the know think that those codes/symptoms are in line with incorrect timing?

-My cruise control stalk broke off, would that have any relation to poor idle?

-Is it possible that a further vacuum leak could cause these issues? I am half tempted to completely pull the intake manifold and re-seat it. I suppose it is possible that the "mechanic" didnt stitch the manifold back up properly.

Again, here is a list of stuff that has been replaced:
New Head Gasket
Cam position sensor
Wiring harness replaced
New OVP
Reman Throttle actuator from BBA
New wires/Coils/Plugs.

·
Registered
94 E320 Wagon--218K miles, 1995 E320 Sedan--101K miles, 1994 E500 Sedan--78K miles
194 Posts
The intake cam has a magnetically triggered engine oil operated advance/retard gear. If the mechanic was not aware of this and did not follow the factory procedure for correct installation of the chain with the adjuster gear "on the stop" your engine could be mistimed.......

Timing is not difficult to check but it will require removal of the valve cover and pulling the engine through by hand....

J. M. van Swaay

·
Registered
94 E320 Wagon--218K miles, 1995 E320 Sedan--101K miles, 1994 E500 Sedan--78K miles
194 Posts
Also make sure you have non platinum plugs installed. ONLY Bosch F8DC4 or non plat non resistor equivalent. The 104 uses a waste spark ignition system--anything but non resistor non plats will cause run problems....

Good luck

J. M. van Swaay

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks J.M.

Your response kind of helps confirm what I had been suspecting. I am more than likely going to have it checked anyway. I have driven the car for 300 miles like this, and dont want to risk damaging anything further. Unfortunately living in NYC, places to do this yourself are kind of scarce!

As for the plugs, I am running F8DC4. I had tried F8DC+ but changed them for the 4. It didnt seem to make much difference either way haha.

-Tony

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
After doing my head gasket I had a problem with the air resonance valve not seating properly. Check for sucking sound around the intake manifold and check for leaks with carb cleaner or an unlit propane torch.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts