Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 528e
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an Mercedes the other day, 112,000 original miles, and it appeared to be in great condition. The only problem is that there was no designation on the trunk so I don't know the exact model. I know it is a 123 series and it is not a turbo because I got the hood open. Question: Were these all diesels? How can I tell if it is a euro version? (It had nice small bumpers, I'm used to the diving board bumpers on my BMW). Is $2900 a reasonable price? Thanks for all your help in advance,

Adam

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Hello Adam,
No they didn't only make diesels. The gas cars are some-what rare, but th...

Hello Adam,
No they didn't only make diesels. The gas cars are some-what rare, but they are definatley out there. Have the person who owns it start it up! You will know right away! If it sounds like a bus/truck its a diesel - plus the guy whos owns it had better know (if not how does he know which fuel to put in?) speaking of which - if for some reason the owners not around (if thats why you don't know) look under the fuel door, there should be a sticker that says "diesel fuel only". If there is no sticker, open the fuel cap and smell - you probably know the smell of gasoline so if it doesn't smell like gas it's diesel! Oh - also look at the speedometer - if it only goes up to 85mph its a diesel also. Good luck, $2900 is a decent price - espically for a 123 with only 112K original miles. If it's a diesel its got another 200K mi left in it easy!

P.S. - euro versions would most likely have a speedometer in km/h instead of mph. They all had relitevly short/small bumpers so it's hard to tell if you don't know.

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
...and the Euro versions go like buggery :)

if it is not a diesel model, then it is really worth knowing whether it is a Euro model. Aside from a few ridiculous cosmetic changes MBNA made to these cars, the most unfortunate one was the pollution controls. 123 series 280Es, which go like rockets in my home country [}:)] feel like diesels in this part of the world [:(]. I wouldn't waste a cent on a car with a US spec petrol motor...that's my 2 cents worth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.