Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,
I am seeking advise from the experts here, you! Again, I am a new proud member here, and have a 240,000 mile US spec 560sel. I have owned the old gal for over 2 years now, and sadly have a new problem:( Whenever I start the car after letting her set just a day, the car runs pretty rough, and sounds like it has a performance cam in it, I wish:D. Of course I let her warm up, and then drive off. When I am at a dead stop and push the down at a moderate angle the car almost stalls out, and then there is a sudden boost in power, like turbo lag.This problem, the "turbo lag", never goes away. I really plan on keeping the car, and am trying to do the most I can for her on my budget. I was thinking a full service tune up:bowdown:. The car also burns oil, grease leaks from the passenger side valve cover onto the exhaust manifold. Then the car smells lovely inside. Lastly, after letting the car sit over 2 days, white smoke clouds appear from the tailpipes. The longer she sits, the worse she gets.
Help, what should I do:surrender:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
A possible vac leak under the hood such as air distribution hoses, major tune up is a good idea, new valve stem guides with valve cover gaskets, oh and while you are in there be sure to check the timing chain guide rails, chain stretch and camshaft oil tubes.

Do a forum search or try Google and you will find lots of info on the problem you are having.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Yes I would concur with all the above. The first thing is order VC gaskets & crush washers, ( this will stop all oil leaking on exhaust) Then while they are off you HAVE to check the guides & chain.

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Friends,
Thank you for your kind advice. I have heard before that the infamous :bowdown: timing chain is prone to fail, so I will make sure that is in good working condition with no slop/slack. As for the motor, I will be contacting my mechanic to obtain a price quote, and then will save my pennies:)
Thanks a million guys,
Der Bomber

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
Hardly a new problem

More often than not, he guides will fail before the chain does.
The forum archive has a wealth of information / the 'Welcome......' announcement / tutorial on top will help you take advantage of forum features.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts