Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350sl built in 10/71
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys, i'm new here. i just got a fixer upper 1972 350sl:) i'm in the middle of the brake job, but i have a question about the rough running under 1500 rpm. so far i've checked/cleaned the contacts in the dizzy and adjusted the valves, and set the spark timing at 30 BTDC at full advance.

a friend said it cost $50k new in '72, but i think he's smokin dope. does anyone know what the sticker price was on the first 107's in the US?
thanks!

sean

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Welcome to BW107.

I seem to recall that the pricing for the first few years of production was in the mid to high teens.

Where's your friend gettin' his dope?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts

Welcome to BW107.

I seem to recall that the pricing for the first few years of production was in the mid to high teens.

Where's your friend gettin' his dope?
Eureka?

B.C.?

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
now that's more like it! thanks!

now about that rough running. i'm not quite understanding this old style of fuel injection. i hear all the cool kids just change to megasquirt.
Having played with a D Jetronic system, I would so change to Megasquirt. However, I wouldn't change my KJet setup to MS, and there are people here who really love their DJet setup, so take my opinion for what it's worth, and consider how much you paid for it.

On the plus side, because the DJet already has electric injectors, it's a relatively easy conversion. You do have to do something with the TPS, since the one on your car is a series of contacts, instead of a continuous resistance change. I've read that you can make a simple bracket to adapt one from either an Audi or Volvo from the mid to late 80s. And you'd want to weld a bung into the exhaust pipe, to get the advantage an O2 sensor can provide, in terms of A/F ratio control. The DJet engine already has all the coolant temp sensors, air temp sensors, etc. that you'd need. But you'd be better off swapping out the APS for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is a little easier to find.

But, overall, a fairly simple swap. Best thing is losing the trigger points that sit under the distributor (the ones you didn't mention cleaning or adjusting, that cost your firstborn and the pound of flesh nearest your heart to replace, and that control the injectors, and that could very likely be causing your rough running.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best thing is losing the trigger points that sit under the distributor (the ones you didn't mention cleaning or adjusting, that cost your firstborn and the pound of flesh nearest your heart to replace, and that control the injectors, and that could very likely be causing your rough running.)
i did clean them but i didn't see an adjustment in them.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
How's the power when it gets running smooth (above 1500 rpm)?

Any pics of your car?

If it comes to it, I've got a box of D-Jet parts from a 1975 SLC in my garage. If my car passes inspection this week, I don't believe I'll need any of it. I've got points, 8 extra injectors, etc.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
How's the power when it gets running smooth (above 1500 rpm)?

Any pics of your car?

If it comes to it, I've got a box of D-Jet parts from a 1975 SLC in my garage. If my car passes inspection this week, I don't believe I'll need any of it. I've got points, 8 extra injectors, etc.
The trigger points were different for 72/73 and 74/75.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
The trigger points were different for 72/73 and 74/75.
Well that sounds like some important info! THANK YOU!

When apparently expensive stuff arrives at your house without request, you don't ask too many questions (like "Would this work in my car?").

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
I was able to get a lot of bugs out of my D-Jet system by replacing vacuum lines and properly adjusting timing and dwell. I was having to readjust dwell quite often, until I replaced the mechanical breaker points with an electronic module. I suspect shaft wobble was eating the rider on my points. Pertronix makes an easily affordable direct replacement for your application.

Good Luck.
Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yep! after 1500 rpm it smoothes out and has nice power.
tomorrow morning i'll take some pictures and spray something at it while it's running, to look for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a box of D-Jet parts from a 1975 SLC in my garage. If my car passes inspection this week, I don't believe I'll need any of it. I've got points, 8 extra injectors, etc.
are you running a different injection management system?

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
are you running a different injection management system?
No. I'm stock (I think). My car is a 450 SL, and some 450 SLC parts generously arrived at my door. I can't believe how nice some of the guys in this forum are. I'd be telling everybody who the guy is, but fear that he'd have others expecting him to be as nice as he was to me. I have yet to use any of the parts I was given "to hold" except a bunch of fuel line hose clamps, a washer fluid T, and an AC belt, and oh yeah a FPR. It sure is nice to have those extra parts around to learn from though.

If anyone needs D-Jet parts from a 1975 SLC, please let me know. I'll ask the rightful owner of the parts how much he'd like for the parts, and assure he gets the cash. I'm sure all the prices will be very reasonable:
- Fuel Pump and regulator stuff, pump housing, etc
- Extra pile of Relays (about 7 that should work as FPR) about two of the bigger ones too
- Wiper motor (doesn't seem to do much more good than mine for some strange reason... when I connect it, the constant power (to return it to resting position) and high don't seem to work. I have not yet tried it with the multi-switch I received from the car.
- Multi-switch in nice shape
- Pile of rigid hoses that go near/around the intake manifold
- Some soft hoses and fuel rails
- 8 extra injectors, and I'm not sure whether I'm going to need them or not. They all seem to need rebuilding, 7 are rebuilds that need rebuilding again.
- All kinds of D-Jet valves and stuff that I don't yet understand.

So as you can see, this one was nice fella to ship off all this stuff and trust me with maybe nearly $1000 worth of goods. His policy was "he ships first, and doesn't even accept money for shipment, then I look at the stuff, see what I can use, and then offer whatever money I felt like sending." So now I've got all these expensive parts, which are nice to have around, but really owe this nice guy big time.

So if you need some D-Jet parts and can offer reasonable prices, I'd love to send some money to the awesome dude.

Thanks!
Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts