Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys, long time reader, first time contributor. Bear with me, this is a tad bit verbose. I went to the used car lot yesterday and test drove an '05 E55 AMG (side bolsters inflate! Amazing) and an '03 S600. Both cars had under 70k with the S600 only having 49k and a single owner with clean carfax.

Now here are my questions, which one of these has the most issues as far as daily driving, and what companies would you recommend for purchasing a MANDATORY extended warranty. I drove both cars back to back and was very impressed with both. The E55 was clearly faster off the line, and the handling was amazing, it is of course 2 years newer, lighter and supercharged (cant beat twin-screws for that instant boost).

The S600 was cavernous and so smooth. Lot claimed S package, with showed more aggressive front bumper, and AMG wheels...not sure if this is true or not, (could just be an appearance package) chime in diehards if you know. I am a tad bit biased towards the S because it has twin turbos, and a v12. I can't figure out where else to spend $25k out the door for a sedan that can accelerate to 60 in under 5 seconds.

I do plan to mod either car, I just assumed the S600 had more potential since an ecu reflash can generate over 600hp. Where as with the E55 AMG, I would need a pulley, and possible reflash, but the substantial gains.

Hoping to be a member of this group in body, not just spirit. Looking forward to hearing from each and everyone who wants to opine. Irie. :bowdown:

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld, and in my opinion the S600 is far more expensive to maintain and less reliable but still a great car.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I could write a book on both but the S600 would be a few pages longer and far more expensive parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts