Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I purchased my first Merc yesterday and drove her home about four hours. Not really any problems. I think front right shock is bad. It makes a clicking noise and sinks lower than the rest when the car is off. Not surprising though.

My issue concerns the top. Oh yes, the top....during the drive home I had it up and down several times and it worked like a charm. Sounded smooth and looked awesome. My issue came when I got home and put it in the garage. The top was down at this point and I wanted to check what type of spare I had so I pressed the little red button to assist in moving the top up a bit. Now I can't get the roof to retract back into the trunk so I can close the trunk lid. Am I supposed to press the red button in the trunk to do this? Or am I missing another button? Maybe a switch isn't reading somewhere? Any and all help is much appreciated.

PS the luggage tray is in its latched position

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Double check that upper tray. Make sure its latched on both sides. Then yes the red button should lower the roof while the top is down. If not you have a problem with a microswitch or a flap sensor. There is a good document in here about trouble shooting the Top. Use the search function.

·
Registered
2006 SL500
180 Posts
Check to make sure the trunk lid is all the way up. Maybe the trunk shocks do not keep the trunk lid up enough. Put some pressure on the lid in the up position and press the red button again.

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked and double checked that the luggage tray was latched and played with the latches to make ire they weren't stuck. Is it possible that one of these latches is bad? I've also tried pushing the trunk hinges all the way up and pressing the button while doing that.

I've been cruising through the archives all day and can't really find a problem that's specific to mine. Most involve the open/closed operation of the top and not the up and down for access to the trunk. What are these micro switches I keep reading about and where are they?

I appreciate all the responses this far but please keep em coming if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
03 SL500 69 Corvette 05 Tundra
41 Posts
My car does that same thing occasionally. I usually open & close the cover & trunk lid and it clears up. Probably an intermittent sensor. I'm saving my large amount of repairs for the winter. Hooray.:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you close the trunk lid when it's in load assist(easy pack) position? It's impossible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: I got the roof backdown into the trunk from the load assist position by bleeding pressure from the hydraulic pump. I will make a short PDF on this though most of you probably know how already. I am going to see if the top will close tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006 SL500
180 Posts
I forgot to mention, when you have the trunk lid all the way up, if you are in a quiet place you should be able to hear the limit switch clicking when you move the lid up and down an inch or less from the top position.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts