Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
ahhh! you didn't drill it level! but then again that could be my OCD.. i'd say an add on cluster to the right of the 'hump' would have been cleaner. but as long as they aren't vitals you need to view clearly, then it's too late to turn back anyhoo.. in past racecars, i've always put the 'tuning' guages in the passanger side for a teamate to record the data and the vitals in the dash in front of me.

·
Registered
1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
772 Posts
it does not make sence to me. Why put guages there? Why not make something work in the cluster? I would say hell no...Man I want to smoke what you are smokin'

·
Registered
BOOsted W126
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am putting guages in the cluster but the mercedes cluster is small. im putting a speedo, tack and water tem in to the cluster. on the glovebox im putting fuel, oil pressure, volts, and another one i dont remember.

i can see the guages perfectly with just a tilt of the head. and these are guages that i dont need ot keep my eye on 24-7, they just need to be checked once in a while

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes-Benz W126 280 SE
955 Posts
@ Civic, why don't you change you're signature? It still reads 350 Chev and you're clearly droppin in a 400 cuber! Would make sense don't you think? ;)

Also, if you want my opinion on the gauges, I think you should mount them on the outside in front of the windscreen, so you have clear view at all times. You can always get another glove box panel, no biggie!

Just a thought...

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
can anybody explain to me why aussies have a prefference of mounting thier guages on the bonnet!? i can't understand that, but i see it in every aussie magazine.. nowhere else.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
hahaha.. crazy aussies. what about when it's dark, raining, or glaring? i can see my guages perfectly in the dash in front of me. wouldn't put em anywhere else.

·
Registered
BOOsted W126
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea havnt had time to change my cig, also guages on teh outside would look nice but not needed. this is not an everyday car so i wont need to have them mounted where i have to look at them

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think if you do some research you will find guages that show more than one data, like you originals. I can't see any point in putting guages there. Unless, you are going to totally strip the interior, put some roll cage, put nitros in the trunk with 15 inch wide rear wheels and go to drag strip.

·
Registered
1990 500SE, 2000 Lexus G300
63 Posts
I second and third that. What's wrong with the original instrument panel? As you said, you don't have to keep an eye on the fuel gauge 24/7, so the fact that it's small (is it?!) shouldn't worry you.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
for starters, he's transplanting a chevy engine.. so obviously, the factory gueages are useless. the issue in debate here is where to lcate them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
for starters, he's transplanting a chevy engine.. so obviously, the factory gueages are useless. the issue in debate here is where to lcate them.
Well yes, the original guages won't work, However, I think you can still fit other guages in that cluster. I don't know, personally I would not even think of putting guages where the glovebox is on a Mercedes. There are companies that make custom guages, you can fit digital in any space, that is for sure.

No offence Civictuner, but that would be very tasteless and thoughtless. If you are making a weekend car, track car, race car, why not get rid of the AC/Heater controls. or relocate them and put the guages there? Or why not stacked on the A pillar? There are many solutions other than there.

I do automotive design, if you need help figuring it out I would be more than glad to help. Tell me how many guages and what the diameteres are, and I will try to help you to make it work where it looks right.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
BOOsted W126
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i cant put it ont eh A pillar because the vin number is there is covering it up or removing it is illegal. the original cluster wont work nor will it fit any small guages. in the little cluster i have to fit a tack speedo and all the warning messages. the glovebox is the only thing that i can put them without really destroying the car. if i drill in to the dash the car is ruined, the glovebox i can just replace. plus it has a rally look to it and it might soon need a rollcage. 11sec and under in the quarter mile needs a role cage

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes-Benz W126 280 SE
955 Posts
CivicTuning2 said:
well i cant put it ont eh A pillar because the vin number is there is covering it up or removing it is illegal. the original cluster wont work nor will it fit any small guages. in the little cluster i have to fit a tack speedo and all the warning messages. the glovebox is the only thing that i can put them without really destroying the car. if i drill in to the dash the car is ruined, the glovebox i can just replace. plus it has a rally look to it and it might soon need a rollcage. 11sec and under in the quarter mile needs a role cage
@ Civic, well even if you decide to go with the glove box, the gauges aren't level, this is clear. I would redo them if I was you, but hey, it's your car.

In Aus, a rollcage is only neccessary if you break the 10 second bracket, and even then, its not a neccessity on the street, just at the strip, tho only an idiot wouldn't add a cage with those kinda times.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts