Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got the plastic grille insert for the chrome housing I stripped off a wrecked 300D. The set up looks awesome compared to my origional. The problem is with completeing the installation of the grill properly. So there are numerous screws which harness the grill to the hood. Two of these on the outermost top of the grill won't thread into the internal clips. You know, those annoying metal clips on the grill? Anyway I have all the other screws in just fine and dandy. I can't get the last two in. The screws turn then they lose their threading and turn sideways. The screws are often making the clips pop out of their places since they are so old and corroded. The result is the corners of the top of the chrome housing is still not flush with the hood. The grille is still on the car pretty tightly but I still want to have it put on correctly. Have any of you experienced this and have any thoughts? My solution may be a trip to Mike's Automotive monday morning. The weekly "Fix this damn thing" visit!

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,701 Posts
I just used short fat screw from something else for i had the same problem....they actually held better then the oem ones.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts