Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after spending 330quid last weds to get my car serviced, I find myself broken down on Friday and the car totally unable to engage the gears.

I've had on off problems for about a year, coil pack problems suggested but nothing that was hindering me from driving the car, just the engine light coming on every now and then and sometimes losing power as cylinders were misfiring.

Occassionally over the past year I've noticed the car sticking in 1st gear, but this problem got a lot worse after its service on Weds.

A high pitched whining sound also emerged in the past week and this got considerably worse after the service also.

That coupled with an 80 mile drive obviously took its toll.

My dad's mechanic has now looked at the car and informed me the gearbox is screwed. The RAC mechanic who towed me home on Friday night was just able to tell me that the transmission fluid had leaked everywhere and so far I've not had a conversation with dad's mechanic to tell me exactly what might have gone wrong...

My question is this 1) How much might an automatic replacement gearbox cost and 2) Should my mechanic who serviced the car not have spotted a problem when servicing it???

HELP APPRECIATED!!!!

Ck

·
Registered
G, FJ, EB, Elise
77 Posts
Hi, after spending 330quid last weds to get my car serviced, I find myself broken down on Friday and the car totally unable to engage the gears.

I've had on off problems for about a year, coil pack problems suggested but nothing that was hindering me from driving the car, just the engine light coming on every now and then and sometimes losing power as cylinders were misfiring.

Occassionally over the past year I've noticed the car sticking in 1st gear, but this problem got a lot worse after its service on Weds.

A high pitched whining sound also emerged in the past week and this got considerably worse after the service also.

That coupled with an 80 mile drive obviously took its toll.

My dad's mechanic has now looked at the car and informed me the gearbox is screwed. The RAC mechanic who towed me home on Friday night was just able to tell me that the transmission fluid had leaked everywhere and so far I've not had a conversation with dad's mechanic to tell me exactly what might have gone wrong...

My question is this 1) How much might an automatic replacement gearbox cost and 2) Should my mechanic who serviced the car not have spotted a problem when servicing it???

HELP APPRECIATED!!!!

Ck
This transmission is almost bulletproof. It is used in much much higher HP cars than the CLK chassis. Make sure you dont have any of the transmission electronics issues cited here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1547387-2004-clk270-cdi-tranmission-problem-engine.html

My G wagon had fluid everywhere leaking too but my problem was actually electronic

1 - 2 of 2 Posts