Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new gas cap, and cant get the darn thing on!

The gas cap came out of the box in the locked (as in screwed onto the car) position. So it wont screw into the gas tank (doesn't align correctly).

Any ideas how to get it to the open position, so I can screw it on the car?

Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
patsslk said:
I just bought a new gas cap, and cant get the darn thing on!
The gas cap came out of the box in the locked (as in screwed onto the car) position. So it wont screw into the gas tank (doesn't align correctly).
Any ideas how to get it to the open position, so I can screw it on the car?
Thanks,
Pat
Yes, you need two medium sized screwdrivers and three hands (really!). You put the screwdrivers under the steel tabs and pry them up against spring pressure. The plastic ring can then be rotated to its proper position. The third hand is the one that turns the plastic ring. I just did it by myself, but to try and explain how I did it would take a movie, and you would laugh your whatever off watching it.....:eek: :D :eek:

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot Bruce, I was able to reset it after your description!

I set the cap down between 2 breifcases, and had 2 screwdrivers proped up to lift the steel tabs. Then I pressed down on the screwdrivers with one hand, and rotated the plastic ring with the other....Success!!!

BTW - do you have any tips on getting the those black plastic screws out? I've already removed the one that holds the gas cap, so you dont loose it after getting gas, but totally trashed it while trying to get it out. I'm off to autozone to buy another!

Thanks again,
Pat

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
patsslk said:
BTW - do you have any tips on getting the those black plastic screws out? I've already removed the one that holds the gas cap, so you dont loose it after getting gas, but totally trashed it while trying to get it out. I'm off to autozone to buy another!
Thanks again,
Pat
They were designed to be trashed, Mercedes has to make money somehow don't they???? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D:D

·
Registered
1998 230 SLK
254 Posts
Anyone else have the problem of the tabs rotating into the lock position when putting the cap on the car and then not unlocking when you try and get the cap off. My cap just spins and stays locked on the car when I try and fill up. The only way to get it off is to rip/pry it off with my hands. This is my third new cap and I have to reset the white tab every time I fill up. Ive gotten quite good at this three hand method!

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never had that problem. 2 suggestions:

1. After taking the cap off, check the inside of the gas tank. Is the metal rims where the cap screws into bent, or have any bumps? Is it possible this was bent during a prior gas cap removal? I did see a little corresion on mine, you may want to check for that also.

2. Get a new gas cap from a dealer (I used autohausaz), if you did not do so on your prior new caps.

Best of luck,
Pat

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
18 Posts
gas cap nightmare

my first post :) anyway, i've had countless problem with the gas cap and the annoying loose cap indicator blinking everytime im at a stoplight, its bloody annoying jeeves.. so i get a new gas cap as reco'd by u fine lads.. however, i then have this annoying locking and unlocking position of the new gas cap, so i use the monkey wrench to put the cap in back in position everytime i fill er up... hopefully with time the new cap will be adjusted:confused:

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you get a official mercedes gas cap? The design may be different in an off the shelf one..

My new gas cap came shiped in the "cap screwed into the car" position, and had to be reset before it would fit on the car. Once the cap was in the correct position, everything has worked fine.

Look at the notches on the inside of the cap. There is a hard rubber track that the cap rotates on. This track and notches keep the cap from turning too far, and is used on opening the cap. The deepest notch is where the cap is when "open" (not scrwed in to the car).

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts