Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

About 2 weeks ago, i got the G320 rims from Eurotruck Importers. Sean from Eurotruck was excellent. Luckily, i got 5 rims fresh as it was being delivered to Eurotruck. The only thing is that it did NOT come with center caps...so i had to use my old center caps from the 18" rims.

Here are the pics first to compare the old OEM 18" rims vs. 16" rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry...here the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More profile pics of the new rims:

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks: as you can see, the offset makes a difference in how much the tire stick past the flares. The 18" rim/tire sticks slightly out past the flares, while the new 16" rim/tire tuck up under the flares completely.

IMO, the 18" OEM rims look better...more sophisticated. One of the best looking rims IMO. The 16" rims have a more classy older MB look...like the old MB car rims.

Ride: 16" rims seem to ride better...not a lot better, but you can feel it. My tire pressure is at 34 psi all around for the 16" rims/BFG AT. Tire pressure play a big difference with our G. My old 18" rims/Yokohamas had 32 psi.

Handling/Steering: the steering with the 16" rims seem less accurate...it really does (i don't think it's my imagination). It's a bit easier to steer around a corner. But, the steering seems more "loose" in general...it's not as tied down. Parking seems to be a bit easier...seems like the turning cirle is less. Handling of the whole vehicle is about the same, except for the steering feel. I don't feel much more body roll due to taller sidewall. Braking seems to be the same.

ESP warning: no warning with the new rims. However, i did not have any problem with ESP on my old 18" rims either. I drive like a grandma. Now, with the Nittos (285/65/18) on the OEM 18" rims, i had a lot of ESP warnings.

Spare tire carrier: with the BFG AT 265/70/16 (30.7" tire), i am able to fit it under the OEM aluminum cover easily. This was a big thing for me...i love the spare tire cover.

I will tell more as i spend more time with these new rims and tires. So far, i am happy with this "mod".

Thai.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Thai,

Congratulations my friend! The wheels look really stunning. I think it's great that you're using the center caps from your 18" tires. IMHO it gives the vehicle a different kind of elegance.

I am more partial to the center caps that Harald recently put on his black 16" wheels. Those caps remind me of the ones on my 1981 300SD - very plain, very simple, very classic.

Let us know how everything turns out. [:)]

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Ride: 16" rims seem to ride better...not a lot better, but you can feel it.
More comfortable, because the side wall from the tire is higher and the tire itself is a bit softer.
Handling/Steering: the steering with the 16" rims seem less accurate
Of course, tires with small sidewalls and bigger rims are always more precise on pavement

ESP warning: no warning with the new rims. However, i did not have any problem with ESP on my old 18" rims either. I drive like a grandma. Now, with the Nittos (285/65/18) on the OEM 18" rims, i had a lot of ESP warnings
Yes, you use the same rotation size ( 265-60-18 = 265-70-16 ), the Nittos are much bigger and MB refused to adjust the speedo / transmission / ETS / ABS etc. so you had ESP warnings ...

I will tell more as i spend more time with these new rims and tires. So far, i am happy with this "mod".
Yes, it's good. All G270 and G320 in the rest of the world use this setting.

·
Registered
'94 G350TDL
304 Posts
Congratulations with your new rims and tires!

It seems one of the bolts is with thief free head. Is it a regular supply from MB in the US or did you buy any after market parts?

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tomo - 4/23/2005 1:46 AM
It seems one of the bolts is with thief free head. Is it a regular supply from MB in the US or did you buy any after market parts?
Yup, i have a wheel lock on each rim (except the spare). They are sold by MB dealership after you buy your car. It's kinda expensive...i think it was about $60-70 for a set of 4.

CMcD, yes, that is the phone number to Eurotruck Importers. Sean is a good guy.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TH - 4/23/2005 3:20 AM
G 500 with same rims and 265-75-16 MT's.
Electronic was adjusted for that size.
No ESP or Error messages
I kept the same stock profile because i did not want my G to feel different. When i had the Nittos (same height as 265/75/16), my G felt sluggish.

My main goal for the new rim/tire combo is to get a more puncture resistant tire while maintaining good-on-road manners (it's my daily and long distance car).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts