Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thsi article came out of edmunds.com , i do not know how to post photo but click on this link http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105243?tid=edmunds.h..insideline.promo.4.*#2 .

The G looks ok but not what we would expect at all.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
DUTCH - 4/1/2005 7:16 PM

ml boy - 4/1/2005 6:52 PM

The G looks ok but not what we would expect at all.
Sorry. To most of us here, it doesn't look the least bit OK. It really looks more like a Chrysler Pacifica than anything else. Possibly like an M or an R, perhaps; but a G? Not at all.
[xx(]

P.S. The pictures have been posted here already many times. Go back in the archives a bit. You'll find them.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
The is how the M should have looked. I hope MB decides to name this the MLG. Either way, I suppose it looks pretty darn nice.

But nothing will ever replace my G500 and I'm still interested in getting that W461 Worker. [;)]

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
I couldn't decide whether to post, but here goes..!!

One word...H O R R I B L E..!!!!

I think this means I am in total agreement with Dutch, some of us are NOT happy at all.

That's all for now..

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
After seeing countless spy pics of this vehicle, we all knew that it would come to this.

I hate to see our current W463 go, but the execs at Mercedes-Benz see otherwise. I have written several letters and made a few phone calls expressing my distaste and providing an alternative, but my cries/pleas fell on deaf ears.

The positive thing I can think of that comes out of all this (besides MB introducing a new model) is that Mercedes might continue to produce the W463 in limited quantities until they come up with an updated G-class vehicle (not this one) for 2007. This vehicle will compete with the Land Rover Defender and other upcoming "boxy" vehicles.

If not, we just have to come to accept Mercedes' decision and either take it or leave it.

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
I love the current design too, but we are a very small minority. The new design is like their competition's, but that is what sells!!!

MBUSA sells only 100 a month of these hand built SUV's. The U.S. Dollar is being stepped on by the Euro. After the currency differential, MB makes at MOST $10k per vehicle .... so they make $1MM a month or $12MM per year on an entire line of vehicles. One brochure is $10, and one TV ad is $500k .... you do the math.

The competition is eating MB shorts [B)]. If this was selling 10,000 per month like other SUV's, or even 1,000 per month, they would continue production.

Continuing a stripped down version would be the best. Get rid of all the crap on these that breaks, and get back to basic's [8D]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
TheDogsCar - 4/2/2005 9:15 AM

Continuing a stripped down version would be the best. Get rid of all the crap on these that breaks, and get back to basic's [8D]
Or they could give the G's blueprints to Jeep (not likely) like they gave the Sprinter's blueprints to Dodge.

I'm all for a stripped down version of the W463. We'll just see what happens.

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
It makes me think of a Jeep from the rear. Also with that expensive back window to repair after a slight rear end bump.[xx(]

·
Registered
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1986 300GD, 1983 280GE
316 Posts
Jeep - Slightly off topic

I understand that Jeep is coming out with a new 4x4 vehicle to compete with the H2. I saw some pictures of it before the Portland auto show a few months back. All in all it looked fairly comparable to the H2, large and lots of exterior plastic. I was intrigued by what appeared to be a CTIS system that came stock on the vehicle. Has any one ever been able to duplicate this system in a G wagen? It is probably the only feature of a Hummer that makes me envious.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
With styling cues borrowed from the Kia Sorrento, and that one off Isuzu thing from a couple of years back (look at the spare tire surround), how can MB possibly miss with this new design ? [:D]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
RE: What r they thinking!

blackshark - 4/3/2005 11:19 AM

It lost all of it's hardcore edge!
That's what they're thinking. Get rid of the "hard core" and then sell more.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
You can't go from this:

To this:

Besides, the last I checked, the Chrysler Pacifica wasn't selling very well.

Whatever. There are still plenty of other G's out there that we can get (Mercedes won't get my business with this Pacifica branded Mercedes).

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
so is there any way we can get the forum renamed from the g-class to the w46* or something so we dont get a bunch of threads about this new piece of crap MB is makine in this forum?

im not trying to be a jerk, but it just doesnt seem appropriate to call that a g-class and thats what they seem to be intent on doing and it juse doesnt belong in the same forum as the current G. more power to the people that buy the new ones and like them, but its like sticking apples and oranges in the same crate

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
yeah, the new one is just such a radical change to pretty much everything the vehicle is that its just not the same vehicle it could get confusing with people asking about the new one and the old ones. Hell i get mixed up between the w460 and the w463 and the w461 sometimes and have to go look it up to follow a thread.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
For some reason, I dont see Arnold, Jennifer, Jada, and the other Hollywood / Sports crowd laying down the scratch $$ for this new and improved "G"... but that's just me.
[8D]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Seperate Forum

belosch - 4/3/2005 11:08 PM

so is there any way we can get the forum renamed from the g-class to the w46* or something so we dont get a bunch of threads about this new piece of crap MB is makine in this forum?
I recently put in a formal request to the list owner to do just this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts