Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New G Class

3K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  TheDogsCar 
#1 ·
http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=4053

Shows the new G in testing.

#4 ·
The new G is going to look like the M... It's not going to look cool anymore :-(

#6 ·
The front doesn't look too bad; it's the rear and backside that look way too low and too much like a Chrysler minivan (read R-class knockoff).

On the plus side, this would be nice branded as an MLG rather than the as "a G-class Mercedes Benz replacement." MB should follow the stylish trend of what GM did to it's previous generation Suburban(now Yukon XL) and Tahoe/Yukon. The freshened exterior and interior (from the previous generation models) are conservative enough to let buyers know that these vehicles are new, yet still part of the GM family and heritage.

#8 ·
Actually why can’t we prepare some letter to Daimler Chrysler Board signed by all G users and lovers , requesting them not to name the New large ML after our G .
Something like :

Dear Daimler Chrysler Board ,

Subsequently to your unfortunate decision of stopping the production for the G wagon , We faithful users of the Gelaendewagen request to keep the dignity and pride of our G by not naming your new Large ML , after the G wagon .

Find a more suitable name for it but let it not relate to G wagon who earned much pride and trust for the past 26 years and who was and will remain the most distinguished 4X4 ever .

GreetinGs ,

Globe Wide G Wagoner’s

Reg ,

Shebl .

#11 ·
well, on the bright side, if it becomes popular enough and the boltpatter/offset are the same as the present G at least the problems with finding decent replacement wheels for not alot of money might go away.
the wheels on that one in the spy photo dont look too terrible

#12 ·
Shebl - 2/19/2005 10:54 AM

Actually why can’t we prepare some letter to Daimler Chrysler Board signed by all G users and lovers , requesting them not to name the New large ML after our G .
Something like :

Dear Daimler Chrysler Board ,

Subsequently to your unfortunate decision of stopping the production for the G wagon , We faithful users of the Gelaendewagen request to keep the dignity and pride of our G by not naming your new Large ML , after the G wagon .

Find a more suitable name for it but let it not relate to G wagon who earned much pride and trust for the past 26 years and who was and will remain the most distinguished 4X4 ever .

GreetinGs ,

Globe Wide G Wagoner’s

Reg ,

Shebl .
Seems reasonable to me, and more possible than them extending the life of the G... could just start an online petition too....

#13 ·
Don't be sad, you have to see it positive:

The new G ( ok, it is a ML ) will be made in USA [:D], and it will become much cheaper than the G500.
Those of you, who don't like that idea, can run out and buy "one of the old ones " until 2006.
Or you can buy it used cheaper.

The other ones, who believe in " newer is better " - I have a 2004, I traded it for a 2005 ....- will find a new object which will be fine for the daily shopping mall drive.

#14 ·
I was wondering just how reliable these "spy" pictures are?? I know that ["4X4ABC", (Harald)] was in Graz from the looks of the threads he has posted. Perhaps he may have some insight into the concerns many of us have for the perpetuation of our collective quirky favorite 4X4.... I can't imagine that mercedes would venture so damn far from the roots of the G class to produce that moderately beefed up M class as a replacement. I hope those pictures are decoys and hype in order to really unvail something true and spectacular that will blow us all away......
Cheers and wishful thinking

Peter

#15 ·
Freaking hideous ... they shouldnt have done that. I really think they screwed things up BIG time. [:(]

#16 ·
Well, a lot of manufacturers are doing platform sharing to keep cost down.

Toronto230GE - 2/20/2005 9:34 AM

I was wondering just how reliable these "spy" pictures are?? I know that ["4X4ABC", (Harald)] was in Graz from the looks of the threads he has posted. Perhaps he may have some insight into the concerns many of us have for the perpetuation of our collective quirky favorite 4X4.... I can't imagine that mercedes would venture so damn far from the roots of the G class to produce that moderately beefed up M class as a replacement. I hope those pictures are decoys and hype in order to really unvail something true and spectacular that will blow us all away......
Cheers and wishful thinking

Peter

#17 ·
I don't like it. I don't see how it preserves any of the heritage of the original G. I don't mind if they use the same platform, but how about:

- Bigger tires
- Heavy duty shocks and springs
- More body clearance, bigger wheel wells
- Higher bumpers
- No pimp-tacular rims
- More rugged appearance
- Low Range and 3 lockers standard

What kind of suspension is the new G going to have, anyway?

#18 ·
The current W463 (G-class) and W163 (M-class) are two completely different models - it just doesn't make sense that the next generation models should share platforms. The current G500 is not, will not, and can never be thought of as a "muscled-up" ML350 (or ML500), nor is it the other way around.

In the DC merger, it looks like Chrysler has reaped the benefits from improving to Mercedes quality while Mercedes has inherited Chrysler's methods of cost cutting, mass producing substandard (Mercedes Benz) cars and completely ignoring the customer's input.

#20 ·
The new "G" is existing only in marketing.
It is based on the W164, that's the new ML.
Same platform, same frame, like the R-model.
Only different from in- and exterior, means, larger tires, different instruments, different body ( larger ), special diff locks, which are not available for the regular ML.
The new "G" is a ML 164 with a special Off road package ....[:D]
Made in USA [:)]

#21 ·
These were the best spy shots i had come across, hence i decided to post them. You guys have the same mindset as i do (from the large number of responses).

We all agree that this is nowhere close to a replacement G. This is just a large SUV...a large premium country club wagon.

This is an unfortunate move for the mercedes brand. They are attempting to put out a vehicle aimed to compete against the tahoe, suburban and escalade while they should have their sights set on the range rover. Last time i checked, the merecedes was a premium brand....they should just brand this thing a chrysler pacifica SUT...

BMW on the other hand is smartening up. After they put out that ugly (yet very driveable) X3, which is only a couple inces shorter than the X5.....BMW is redesigning the X5 to be larger and going straight for the range rover market.

Daimler-chrysler is like the GAP.....they are trying to throw out a whole buch of stuff that is likely to appeal to every type of customer mindset. Except for dropping free maintainance that leaves us loyal customers bitter [V]

#24 ·
In my thirties, I would hope to have a few more MBs in my future (a 230SL in the rearview and a 300GE at present among other marques). But I would never consider this abomination. Shame on you, DC.

Oh, and nice $22 million truck sale to your friends in Iran. Were they Gs?

#25 ·
ALL MACK - 2/23/2005 1:58 AM
As I understand it, the first major sale of Gs was originally for the Shah's army. Unfortuantely, as revolutions have a way of scuppering even the best of plans, the deal dell through.

Fortunately the Bundeswehr came through or else we may not have had any Gs beyond the first few!

#26 ·
First G's

Maxwell Smart - 2/23/2005 2:49 AM

ALL MACK - 2/23/2005 1:58 AM
As I understand it, the first major sale of Gs was originally for the Shah's army. Unfortuantely, as revolutions have a way of scuppering even the best of plans, the deal fell through.

Fortunately the Bundeswehr came through or else we may not have had any Gs beyond the first few!
Don't forget the Army of Argentina!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.