Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I maybe am looking at some new front springs? When I look at the car it seems "down in front" not sure if just illusion or not. I do get some tire rub on some hard dips. I am also thinking of bittin the bullet and get a Eibach HD front sway bar. I think the extra weight of the V8 makes the car lean a little more! The 300E that I am selling with the six seems to me alot flatter in the corners. I am running 16 in wheels and tires but the overall dia is only about 1/16 in bigger than the 15s I was running! I know this group seems to be in the lowering mode here but I would like to come up just a bit! Is there any way other than heavier springs to get this done? Gone attach to pics one of the 420 and the other the 300 ! Let me know if I need to see the eye doctor![:)][:)][:)][:)]

Smokie

Attachments

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi smokiesman.

Sure looks like you're diving. And I agree with you. Stay up in the air with grace and dignity.

The only thing that keeps your front height, is the front springs. So I would exchange them together with shocks, sway bar with bushings and brackets.

To get full benefit, you should change springs, sway bar with bushings, brackets, and links in the back too. I hear them say the parts are almost for free.[}:)]

I'm not familiar with Eibach sway bars, but the V8 does take it's toll on the suspension. So getting something better than OE is probably wise. Be very careful if you want springs that are outside of the original specs. The result of such experiments may be lethal.

If you have a self levelling system, be sure to check the hydraulic control valve and the movability of the linkage rod, so that you are not fooled by a too high rear.

Yo

Geir

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Nord! Thanks for the input. Are you saying replace with new orig springs , or something different? I definatly would replace the the shocks! I think they are still orig. Not sure I want to dig into the rear suspension other than a heavier rear bar! I really would like to get the roll out of the Beast. I had a 92 Audi 100 S before I got the Beast. It did not have the brute power but it sure was nimble in the corners. As a old SCCA road racer I really like a nice flat turner!! Have you got any suggetions on springs ? Thanks[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

BTW: No self leveling!

Smokie

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I bet its just your shocks. Bilstein HD's will help. Also a lot of the sway you are getting can come from worn sway bar bushings especially in the rear where they get truly beat up. I would change those too. Also a great upgrade is metal sway bar links from the 300TE part number 1243200489. You can get them at www.autohausaz.com for $30 a pair. Eliminates preload time on the rear sway bar as it begins to twist.

If you just upgrade the front sway bar you will induce understeer, its an unpleasant feeling in an MB. The rear ones although more expensive to replace are better to upgrade first if you can IMHO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably don't need new springs, turn wheel on a lock and look up at the spring turret. You will find a rubber stop that is graded. here in the UK and i guess everywhere else you can get these rubber stops from Dealer. You will see a series of small lumps graded from one to four. If you have one or two go up to. You also have the benefit of not destroying the ride comfort. An easy job and very cheap.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Yo Smokiesman.

Low front end = worn springs.

Had a case here the other day. It was in the same dive as yours. The owner complained about the car wanting to take off in all directions. (We have bad roads in Norway)The acute reason for his visit was that the tyres scraped the fender during hard breaking in curves. So we took it in to see what we could do. It wasn't a V8, but a E320 95.

We removed the springs, cleaned the inner fender and welded a wee bit on both (what's it called? Spring brackets? Spring seat? The place where the spring connects to the inner fender). Did an A-arm bushing kit. Cleaned the steering knuckle and swapped balljoints. (they were creacky) New steering damper. Swapped sway bar with bracket and bushing kit. New Bilstein shocks all around. New brake pads and handbrake shoes.

In the back we did most of the bushings and linkarms. New anti-roll bar and connecting link. Don't forget the connecting links. New mounts for differential. We also stiffened his rear, just a wee bit. You know, the usual screwed metal bars, in the wells.

New tyres, and a 4 wheel alignment, and the car was like a diamond. When we had the normal test spin together after the reparation, his smile threatened to orbit his head. But you know his wallet bled. Rivers.

In your case, maybe new springs? And I always recommend a brand new OE sway bar in the front with brackets and bushings when swapping springs. It's heavy work being a bar on a well driven V8 W124. Of course new shocks around. If you don't want to swap your hind anti-roll bar, at least do the bushings and connecting links. That trick YAL refered to might be worth looking into. I know I will.

I very seldom get to sink my fingers into hefty better than OE stuff. Around my place, people who can afford that, usually use top shops. And that's not the importer, and his chain. That's why I always use OE parts with a blue and white tag, instead of all the fancy stuff. So that I know that my work will bear good fruits, and not end up in junk.

Your car has a very nice and clean look. I totally agree with you concerning staying up in the air. Why give up all that comfort, for 3 mph more around a corner? I think that the 400E / E400 is the very best W124, in the summer time. In the winter, I wouldn't swap my 4-Matic even for two.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get it striaght so you can get the bugs worked out running it through Dill's Gap!! I got my 2nd degree from Western. You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth!!

Chris

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Chris ! Round here we call it Deals Gap ! Ain't 20 ft of straight road there. Even my dog got car sick but the bikers love it and yes we love the mountains! I gonna start with some new shocks before I start messin with the springs. I think they are orig and with 135k they prob gettin a might tired!![:(]I would like to go to a beefier front bar. Been lookin on the Berg Werks site and they sell a Renntech sportline package with the option of a E500 front bar. I tried lookin for one of them in the boneyards but like lookin for hens teeth[:D][:D] If I can get some of the roll out of the Beast, Deals Gap would be the acid test!!!
[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check these guys out...www.mbpartsonline.com. They have 2 locations, one in D.C. and one in Florida. I found them while searching for stuff on Ebay. They may be able to help you out.

You are correct...Deals Gap, it's been awhile. I was there a few years back on my honeymoon. But we only made it to Cashiers, then to The Biltmore and back to the Homestead. Great trip and wonderful traveling companion too!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts