Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1995 E320
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is time for new shocks for my old lady, is pretty bouncy on uneven pavement plus the tires are starting to show wear in weird places.

After doing my homework I decided to go for Bilstein comfort. Does anyone have a part number for it, also can you recommend a good seller? Does MB sells different types of shocks or just the Standard OEM.

· Registered
1995 E320
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the entire suspension is due for a overhaul.
This is just for the front, only the shocks, and the mounts. The tire wear is feathered.
The rear is no problem all five links are perfect, no bouncing, no swaying on hard winds or on bumps.

· Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,761 Posts
Uneven wear could anything from bad alignment to worn rubber such as the A arm mounts, shock tower mounts, etc, etc, etc. And don't discount components that may not show damage.

· Registered
00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
5,385 Posts
If you're going to replace the shocks, I would highly recommend that you replace both the front and back. Have the alignment check also.

I had Bilstein HDs and Eibach springs on my former W124 and the ride was not harsh at all. Big improvement in handling and ride was very compliant.

The Tire Rack have very competitive pricing on Bilsteins and free shipping.

EDIT: Just checked their site. No listing for Bilstein Comforts or Hds.

Reactions: sbaert

· Registered
1995 E320
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dealer charges $249 for 4 wheel alignment, and they throw in a free 4 wheel balancing. A regular tire shop will charge me around $120 for a similar service. Is Mercedes alignment so fundamentally different to justify the price or is the mechanic that will execute it? Cause if that's the case then I will pass.

· Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,761 Posts
As long as you take it to a shop that knows these cars and uses a spreader bar, then I see no need to go dealer route. If they've never heard of a spreader bar, hang up and keep shopping.

I would recommend you supply the alignment specs to the shop though as many don't know the differences between all the models W124.

· Registered
1994 E420, 1985 380SL
159 Posts
This sounds like exactly what I'll be dealing with on my E420. I have known for a while that my shocks are worn out, lately the car is a bit unenjoyable to drive. It heaves around corners, it dives and bounces when you come to a stop, the car gets blown around on the highway, and the wheel shakes at high speed even on fresh pavement. With 180k miles I'm sure I'll have to replace more than just the shocks, not looking forward to it.

Would love to hear some opinions as to which grade of shocks to get. I'm leaning toward comfort shocks since I value a nice ride over all the rough crappy roads we have here. However I don't want it to feel like a whale when I go through a roundabout.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.