Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D, 1984 300TD-sold, & 1985 300D(parting/selling)-sold
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my plans for the weekend include replacing the front end on my 84 300td I have a new upper control arm assembly, torsion bushing for UCA, lower ball joints, and Lower control arm bushings. I was thinking i should start by removing everything then start from the bottom and work my way up. Does anyone have any good tips, other than to rent ball joint press and spring compressor.thanks.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
so my plans for the weekend include replacing the front end on my 84 300td I have a new upper control arm assembly, torsion bushing for UCA, lower ball joints, and Lower control arm bushings. I was thinking i should start by removing everything then start from the bottom and work my way up. Does anyone have any good tips, other than to rent ball joint press and spring compressor.thanks.
I hope you didnt by the kit off ebay, At any rate, I did mine with the autozoo ball joint kit. If you have the proper press, I think you will still need the autozoo one to press it out. Make sure you do not tighten the LCA bushing until the car is on the ground and you have rolled it back and forth 9' 2-3 times to make it settle. Did you get the 126 LCA bushing, I highly recommend it? Also make sure that you do the strut rod mount and bushing on the LCA side as these can only be done with the spring out. The parts are a minimal cost.

You may need an extra hand form time to time and plan on it taking a full weekend. I found that some rocket scientist had WELDED my bj's in. Took 6' cheater bar and 3 guys to pop em out. When they did it was ferocious. Make DAMN sure you dont use air tools on the spring compressor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts