Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this car never ceases to amaze me!![:)] I just found a new feature: Did you guys know that there is a moisture sensor that detects rain amount and controls the intermittent frequency on the wipers when it's on?? Well, it was raining slightly here in my area, and I decided to use the wipers for the very first time since I've owned this car. I noted that as the amount of rain increased, the wipers worked with more frequency and number of wipes on the windshield. If I was dead stopped at traffic light and/or no rain, the wipers did not function, but when I got some drizzle on the windshield, the wipers came on. Looked it up on the manual and it said: " Position 1 - Intermittent wiping. One initial wipe, pauses between wipes are automatically controlled by a rain sensor monitoring the wetness of the windshield". (Pg. 60) Amazing, hu!? [:p]

Have you guys found anything amazing by chance about your cars??

Hey! How about creating a post with the pictures of our W140's - one of the day when you got the car, and one most recent?? How about it? Maybe we can let the WebMasters make this a permanent forum??

Joey

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
Yeah, I heard they added rain sensor wipers on in 97 or 98, correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I heard they added rain sensor wipers on in 97 or 98, correct me if I am wrong.

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
Another cool feature.....

Joe, have you noticed that when you open your hood that it only opens about 35 degrees, making it tough to get to areas close to the windshield (i.e. the fuse box on the driver's side). There is a solution for this. Take a look at the hinges for the hood; you'll notice that there is a lever that you can push in on each, which will allow you to open the hood a full 90 degrees. That's right, your hood, as big as it is, will stand straight up in the air! Pretty cool, but scary to see that big thing standing straight up!

· Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MPM77:

Hey!, that's real cool! I often wondered how the mechanics did this. I went ou...

MPM77:

Hey!, that's real cool! I often wondered how the mechanics did this. I went out and tried it and like you said... it is scary to see that monster hood standing completely vertical. Man, I am sure glad that it has the safety catch, otherwise, 300 lbs of metal can definitely chop your head off!!
[:)]

Joey

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts
all models did that starting with the 123 back in 76. the only one that did not was the...

all models did that starting with the 123 back in 76. the only one that did not was the 107. (pre 76, there were a lot of mechanics getting stitches on the back of their head!!)ps i always wondered how many "mechanics" took the hood off for engine replacement..........

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
The rain sensing may be a cool feature, but to think that the 1995s don't even have a manual intermittent wiper speed control is downright "PATHETIC". Every cheap Japanese sedan had this feature starting as early as 1983.
Well, this car never ceases to amaze me!![:)] I just found a new feature: Did you guys know that there is a moisture sensor that detects rain amount and controls the intermittent frequency on the wipers when it's on?? Well, it was raining slightly here in my area, and I decided to use the wipers for the very first time since I've owned this car. I noted that as the amount of rain increased, the wipers worked with more frequency and number of wipes on the windshield. If I was dead stopped at traffic light and/or no rain, the wipers did not function, but when I got some drizzle on the windshield, the wipers came on. Looked it up on the manual and it said: " Position 1 - Intermittent wiping. One initial wipe, pauses between wipes are automatically controlled by a rain sensor monitoring the wetness of the windshield". (Pg. 60) Amazing, hu!? [:p]

Have you guys found anything amazing by chance about your cars??

Hey! How about creating a post with the pictures of our W140's - one of the day when you got the car, and one most recent?? How about it? Maybe we can let the WebMasters make this a permanent forum??

Joey

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
Intermittenf wiper

MY 92 500 SEL, has an intermittent wipers, and if you stop at a light it stops, when you startup it goes back, I think it slows also from higher speeds when you stop, but you can change it by just twisting the stalk! Dont compare it with a cheap japenese sedan, what about double pane glass, speed sensitive radio volume,the vacum controlled glove box hinge (does not fall quickly), charcoal cabin filter, eccentric wiper arm!

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
Re: Intermittenf wiper

The speed is still too fast for times when it ought not to be, no excuse. Cheap Japanese sedans do a lot of things very well, that expensive sedans cannot do, hence the comparison. I don't think I can twist any stalk to control the intermittent speed. The twisting only changes from off-intermittent-slow-fast. Correct me if I am wrong, but I just don't understand the inability to allow control the speed manually.

MY 92 500 SEL, has an intermittent wipers, and if you stop at a light it stops, when you startup it goes back, I think it slows also from higher speeds when you stop, but you can change it by just twisting the stalk! Dont compare it with a cheap japenese sedan, what about double pane glass, speed sensitive radio volume,the vacum controlled glove box hinge (does not fall quickly), charcoal cabin filter, eccentric wiper arm!

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
The hood feature is on the W126 too. For esay access to the battery area or if you have w...

The hood feature is on the W126 too. For esay access to the battery area or if you have work on the firwall area. I think that's on the pre W126 too. Other word, that has been around for a long time.

· Registered
1996 S500 Limo - Sold
79 Posts
Re: Yeah, I heard they added rain sensor wipers on in 97 or 98, correct me if I am wrong....

Ok then , my 96 S500 LWB has the rain sensor wipers - luv em to bits......! Mind you my car has side airbags as well and some text I read said they were on the 97 models. My car is a UK model, so that may account for the differences.

[:D]

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: Re: Yeah, I heard they added rain sensor wipers on in 97 or 98, correct me if I am wrong..

... Mind you my car has side airbags as well and some text I read said they were on the 97 models. My car is a UK model, so that may account for the differences.
Hmmm..
Never heard of those in 96's..

Are you thinking about the nicely stuffed leather on the doors as side airbags?

///S320

· Registered
9 Posts
I found a great new feature on my CLK 350 (2006). On a completely dry, beautiful sunny day with no water on the road or rain in sight, the windshield wipers automatically came on! I think it's ingenious so Mercedes reminds us that we should be thankful it's not really raining.

Sorry, just venting that my car with only 500 miles is starting to have funny glitches (i'm too tired to list them here).

AB3

· Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,041 Posts
yet more evidence that the newer Benzes are not built with the standards our W140s were....

· Registered
1,686 Posts
My W202 has the rain sensor aswell and does the neat hood trick which is indeed a classic benz feature.

· BenzWorld W140 Host
W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
1,925 Posts
Joey6 - 11/1/2003 6:21 PM

Joey
Maybe you can start it first??

· Registered
1996 S600
206 Posts
Re: different years for added goodies in Europe v. US. It appears that our European brothers and sisters got new goodies about a year before we Yanks did. For example, my Euro-spec 1996 W140 (mfr'd late 95; imported 2001), has the Parktronic system. US spec cars did not get it until 1997. Makes sense that a UK version would have the rain sensing system a year before US spec versions did. There were other systems, like nav, that no US 140 ever got. My nav speaks very German German and very BBC British. I'll get around to reorienting it one of these days . . .

· Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
932 Posts
I SAW parktronic on a 1995 S600
guess that's the first year they have it as an option....

my car got the rain sensor which works sometimes...

and none many 140 got the Xenon...well...a number got the aftermarket one

and i only saw one got the ADS, it was a 1998 S600

· Registered
'95 S500 Coupe (Sold), '86 420SEL (Sold), '06 ML320CDi, '87 300E (Sold), '90 500SEL, '90 300E-24
95 Posts
our 2004 CLK320 also has the rain sensor and occasionally in the dry weather, the wipers will cycle just once... we always say it's a relation who's passed away just saying hi, LOL

· Registered
1997 S420, 2000 E320
76 Posts
If you leave the intermittent thing on it will cycle once every now and then to let you know that the wipers are on. If it isn't raining turn the wipers off and you won't see the wipers go for no reason.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.