Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'79 300TD - '74 Triumph Spitfire, '86 Alfa GTV6 & Spider
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I installed a new exhaust system on my '79 300TD. Downpipe to tailpipe, Bosal brand. Near as I can tell, it is identical to the one I replaced, minus the rust and holes. After finishing the job, I went on a ~100 mile drive. When I got home, I discovered the backup light on the driver's side completely melted into slag! What the heck??

As near as I can tell, the new system is hanging the same as the old one, the tailpipe is below the level of the backup light. The tailpipe does stop before the light, but so did the old one.

Any thoughts? Those backup lights are not cheap, I do not want a repeat performance of this!

-Kevin

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
does the new pipe point towards the ground? Take a picture for us.

·
Registered
1981 300TD 360k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
647 Posts
On my '81 TD the exhaust from the muffler makes a 90 degree turn and exits behind the wheel. My understanding was this was supposed to keep the left reverse lens from getting black from the carbon. Is this how yours is?

·
Registered
'79 300TD - '74 Triumph Spitfire, '86 Alfa GTV6 & Spider
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my '81 TD the exhaust from the muffler makes a 90 degree turn and exits behind the wheel. My understanding was this was supposed to keep the left reverse lens from getting black from the carbon. Is this how yours is?
No, but I see what the issue is. The previous exhaust has a tip that is curved over such that the exhaust stream is pointed to the ground. The new one is just cutoff at an angle - at a glance it looks similar but the exhaust stream is actually going straight back under the backup light lense. Very irritating.

I'll take it to the good local muffler shop and see what they can do.

-Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts