Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 e320 engine is shaking like elvis when I drive over 60 mph. I was told I need new engine mounts. Would I need a new transmission mount too.

Someone said that you may as well change the transmission mount too(otherwise the engine will be at a wierd angle). How many hours does it trully take to replace these. I will also need a head gasket job in the next month. Can anyone reccommend a good shop in Arizona ?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
They

going to pull the engine when they do the head gasket and the timing chain gasket and whenever you are inside a m104 the timing chain should be changed,so you might find it easier to do the mounts and trans mount at that time.
Have you added up the cost of all this work?Might be time to look at a newer lower mile model.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1996 E320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense that I do it when I do the gasket.

It would cost $1500 to do the head gasket and $400 to do the engine mounts. Then I have a code for bad O2 sensors(I have been quoted $600 for both). I have only owned it for 4 months. These issues are standard problems for a 1996 e320 car with 190,000. I got it cheap for $5000 so I expected to dish some money. It drives well, just a little shaky after 60 mph . Hopefully is wont become a bottomless pit. I guess we will have to see. Thanks for the suggestion ohlord.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
5g

for a 96 with 200 k miles is not cheap.Unless you live out of the states.
o2 sensors are a diy item no where near 600 bucks.Has anyone checked the mounts?they fail often on the m112 and m113 cars and most show up at idle not at speeds over 60 that sounds more like cupped or poorly balanced tires.
If you do not diy find another shop to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
for a 96 with 200 k miles is not cheap.Unless you live out of the states.
o2 sensors are a diy item no where near 600 bucks.Has anyone checked the mounts?they fail often on the m112 and m113 cars and most show up at idle not at speeds over 60 that sounds more like cupped or poorly balanced tires.
If you do not diy find another shop to get a second opinion.
+1 to these points. Mounts smooth out above idle speed. Worn tie rod ends and ball joints can set up a shimmy as well. Definitely seek a second or even third opinion.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
My 96 e320 engine is shaking like elvis when I drive over 60 mph. I was told I need new engine mounts. Would I need a new transmission mount too.

Someone said that you may as well change the transmission mount too(otherwise the engine will be at a wierd angle). How many hours does it trully take to replace these. I will also need a head gasket job in the next month. Can anyone reccommend a good shop in Arizona ?
dmulumba, how bad is it leaking oil? do you have to add oil every now and then? do you have a puddle of oil on the ground every time you park the car for a while? is the oil touching the exhaust parts and can you smell burned oil when turning the car off? if not than i wouldn't worry about the headgasket for now. a lot of m104;s leak oil eventually from the timing cover, and the leak takes a long time to get very bad. they are usually external leaks, meaning it doesn't hurt anything as long as you make sure the oil level is above minimum. also make sure you don't have coolant in oil or vice versa (never heard that to happen in m104). check the area around the timing cover passenger side. clean it with brake cleaner and then let the car run for 5-10 minutes while you observe the leaking spot and see how bad it leaks. also since you live in arizona, i would change the oil to a conventional 20w50, castrol is a good one or valvoline, which is actually an oil weight recommended for your engine in a hot climate. don't use synthetic, but remember you now have to change the oil/filter every 3-5k miles, depending on your driving style. also don't keep the oil level close to maximum, but more towards the middle or below that.
about the engine mounts, you can easily check yourself by trying to move the engine with your hands. ohlord and greg are right about the engine mounts, you will know if they are bad before getting the car out of the garage because you will have a rough idle and the car will shake a little.
check the tires, from your description sounds like it's their fault. are they very worn? properly balanced?

·
Registered
1996 E320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new engine mounts: do I need new tranny mountb

thanks for your advice veteran. I dont need to keep adding oil. I can smell some oil after I drive for a while. There is no oil in the coolant. I will get a second opinoin on the engine mounts and the o2 sensor. and have the suspension checked.

·
Registered
1996 E320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New engine mounts: do I need tranny mounts

Thanks for the advice :), I will have the rims checked. before I look into ball joints or tie rods. It may also be the tires(I was told at the tire shop that the front ones have a month of life left) and the previous owner didnt seem to rotate them regularly.

·
Registered
1996 E320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New engine mounts: do I need tranny mounts

I got new engine mounts installed a week ago. It turns out the tranny mount had to be ordered so I got a chance to drive my e320 for a week before the tranny mount was put in. it was smoother at speeds below 50 mph after the new engine mounts but I still had significant vibration from the middle of the car after 60 mph. I had the tranny mounts finally installed yesterday and the vibration is completely gone the car drives like a new car now , very smooth and the best ride I have ever owned. Thanks every one for the input.

·
Registered
1999 E320
29 Posts
hey i hear clanking when i drive over bumps. also it feels like my car is under damped. i have a 99 e320. i replaced front ball joints about a year ago. what can it be

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
frog111,

It's usually better to first search, then if nothing relevant turns up, start a new thread when your symptoms are unlike the ones mentioned in this one.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
hey i hear clanking when i drive over bumps. also it feels like my car is under damped. i have a 99 e320. i replaced front ball joints about a year ago. what can it be
frog111,

It's usually better to first search, then if nothing relevant turns up, start a new thread when your symptoms are unlike the ones mentioned in this one.
and my .02, if you use the search function you'll find the answer...end links or sway bar bushings, but at that age just do both. DIY for at least one of those in the stickies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts