Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just bought Matt's Black '99 E55 this week. What a car! I was holding out for the C32 AMG, but what the heck. This V8 takes me back to the muscle car days. What a punch! But you all know that.<br>
Quastions:<br>
1. Performance upgrades? (dealer says they invalidate waranty, I tend to think that is inaccurate)<br>
<br>
2. Best way to launch the car and get 0-60 times posted by the mags? Best I can get is 5.47 seconds, trac on. Seems about 1/2 sec slow.<br>
<br>
Best to all!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welcome !!...more

First of, upgrades will not void your warranty unless they prove that the upgrade caused damage to the item you are claiming warranty to.<br> 'Magnusson Act'<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These guys know there stuff ...

<br> Evosport.<br> <br> One of the owner's is an E55 owner too, and created the company just for rides like ours!<br> <br> You can contact him here: [email protected] , be sure to tell him that Drew from Florida sent you (Simon will be 'extra-special' nice to you then).<br> <br> Congrats on your new baby ... and welcome to the club!!!<br> <br> Drew<br> '01 E55

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upgrades....not much...but...

Brake Upgrade<br> <a href='http://216.122.199.143/forums/AMG210/vthread.asp?messid=779'>Big Brake</a><br> <br> Chip<br> www.ASEChips.com (No experience here)<br> www.Wetterauer.com<br> <br> No gains here except for the top speed limiter is removed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Launching from the line...

Personally, I'd be happy with 5.47 seconds out of an E-class. For starters, almost all other road users will be expecting you to do it in 10.47 :)<br> <br> Secondly, it can be almost impossible to transfer all that snarling V8 grunt onto the tarmac. In the UK, where the roads are often (a) in poor condition and/or (b) damp*, there's simply no chance of clocking in anything less than 6.0s. Really :(<br> <br> On a dry day and on a decent bit of road, I find that a disabled ESP gives you a better launch, as long as you are a little intelligent with the throttle. Why? Well, although less severe than the BMW equivalent, if you ask me the E55's traction still interferes on occasion where it isn't absolutely necessary.<br> <br> All IMHO...<br> <br> Jamie -- London, UK,<br> <br> <I>* While I don't like to perpetrate silly myths, such as England being perpetually foggy and inhabited by eccentric John Cleese-a-likes with bad teeth, it <U>is</U> damp :)</I><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sold the E55 already

It wasnt up to snuf on my drive thru the canyons every day vs my M3. The trac and stab system is great for safety, but poor for performance. The E55 has the best engine I have ever driven, bar none. What an amazing car. I still have my order for the C32 AMG which will match the E55's performance but will perhaps have better control on the twisties.<br> <br> Best to all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may be in for a letdown...

From everything I've read on the AMG cars, the 3.2 AMG motor cannot compare to the 5.4 motor. No doubt you're in for some fun and no doubt the 3.2 has got some punch. But if you're hoping to replicate 'the best engine ever, bar none,' you may be disappointed. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: You may be in for a letdown...

I'n mot so sure. It matches the performance of the E55 according to the tests. And, it wil handle better, stop better. Sure, maybe 60-80 or 100-150 will be faster in the E55. We dont know yet. The E55 is just amazing. There was so much power I couldnt take advantage of it without the handling to match. The C32 should solve that. I just found the E55 even with Euro suspension mods to be too soft for my drive (read: for my drive). Love the car though and sold it to a fellow car nut who will really baby it well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
E55 vs. C32

Would love to test drive the C32 to see how civilized compared to the E55.<br> <br> I hope the supercharger will not be a let down and there will be lots of low end torque, the E55 will probably be much quieter without the supercharger whine..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts