1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,<br>
<br>
I am in the market for a new M5 or E55 AMG<br>
I have right now an opportunity to lease a new 2001 e55 AMG, black/black, COMAND for $943 / month, 36 months/12K , 0 down TTR up front. My concern is that the new body may come out soon. Does anyone have any news on the new E-class body style and when it will come out? <br>
<br>
Also for those that had to decide between these m5 vs. e55 , what swayed your decision to purchase either car?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also torn, but went for E55...

A few things clinched it for me. First, I use it to commute into NYC. Automatics are just easier in stop-and-go traffic. Second, my wife drives an E320 wagon. We both love how the car drives and looks and the quality of its construction, so I had a bias towards an E-class. Finally, I like a plainer interior. I'm not into a lot of buttons (I don't have COMAND). The M5 had too much 'stuff' for my tastes. I got over the auto vs. manual thing. After driving sticks for many years, I actually find the auto fun. It's very good--light years ahead of any auto I've driven before. You can be sloppy with a stick in that you can always pick the right gear no matter what you did to get there. The E55 makes me think ahead more when driving so that I do the right things to make sure the auto gets into the right gear. Can always touch shift, of course.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many of us went through the same drill. The current E body style has been out since '96 and is set to change, I believe, with the 2003 model year. Though less sure about the BMW, the 5 series body style has been out since '97 in the US market and should change soon after the Benz. The point is, as far as body styles go, both models are far along in the life cycle. While the auto vs. manual remains a key deciding point, there's more to consider. First, the M5, with less power steering boost, feels (IMHO) more like a real enthusiast's car. And, I never felt the in-town brutality of the E55 suspension as some in the automotive press. In fact, I thought the M5 rode a bit firmer. Then, there's image. Some folks perceive the Benz model (regardless of the AMG badging)as driven by 'older' people. This is a personal thing which only you can give weigh. No doubt both cars will satisfy. By the way, the $943 /mo. lease deal sounds exceptional. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having owned both an E55 and an M5, it's easy to see their relative merits. Both are exceptional cars with all the virtues of a well designed, mass-produced German automobile; they are also inseparable in terms of performance.<br> <br> What it boils down to is a number of key points: image, sportiness, and transmission. The BMW M5 is a brash car which gets admiring glances from brash people, even though it's becoming an increasingly common sight here and in the US. It is also far more 'sporty' than the E55, and only comes with a manual 'box. Depending on your point of view, this may be a deal clincher...<br> <br> As for the 'Benz, the E55 represents everything that's great about the marque, including low-key styling, superb build, a less temerarious group of owners and a smooth, self-shifting gearbox. The interior is plain and uncluttered, although the leather is not up to the quality of the hide in its rival. Given the option, I'd go for cloth.<br> <br> When I had the M5 I was tempted by Porsches, Ferraris and Aston Martins (and actually ended up in a 996 C2); now I'm the current E55 I can't wait for the next E-class to arrive so I can 'upgrade'. I've never had that feeling with any of the 40+ cars I've owned over the years.<br> <br> It really does leave a lasting impression :)<br> <br> Jamie -- London, UK.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it! Just on the $ it's substantially lower than what everyone else is getting.

You'll still be ahead when the new one comes out and then you can chose with no big loss.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a great deal...take the E55

Hey BMW Guy,<br> <br> That's a great deal for the E55...I would go for it if I were you.<br> <br> I, like you, was in the market for an M5 or E55.<br> After checking in the LA/Orange County area, I found that the M5 was selling for over sticker by between $15,000 - $25,000. First of all, I have a big problem with paying over sticker for anything and after test driving both cars....(contact Beverly Hills Auto Collection in Beveryly Hills, Ca...they let you test drive there)...I felt that both cars were very similar.<br> Even though the M5 looked fantastic (Titanium Silver/Black/Grey interior w/leather dash), it wasn't worth $20,000 over sticker.<br> <br> I'm 31 years old and used to drive a '94 Euro Spec E36 3.0L M3 Coupe (standard shift) and still moved to an E55 automatic so that tells you something. Besides other things, it also should tell you that I'm married w/a dog(pug) and a new baby. Wife doesn't drive stick either so I guess that factored into it. (I still want to get the new M3...but that's another story).<br> <br> Anyway, hope that helped ya....Good luck...if you don't mind spending over sticker and don't drive in rush hour too much, then go for the M5...otherwise, I would go for the E55.<br> <br> Regards,<br> Edmond<br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts