Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
03 Audi RS6, 04 Noble M12
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the obvious advantage/disadvantage of buying a used vehicle. I love all of the new gadget available on the E. Does the S provide anything more than a bigger back seat? I would be looking at MY 2000 or 2001 for an S. Anyone else here have the same debate and then dispel the E?
(also, I will be leasing for self employment tax purposes)

·
Registered
1995 SL320, a former disgusted owner of an '03 E320
7 Posts
My pros/cons;
Size - E320 is definitely smaller than S Class, too bad they don't offer SW...

My pros/cons;
Size - E320 is definitely smaller than S Class, too bad they don't offer SWB S model
Style - I give edge to S Class, but not by much
Cost - In my area 2000, 2001 S430 are still a bit higher than new E320
Warranty/Service - Warranty can be extended, at additional cost is you purchase used Starmark, plus Starmark cars usually have higher price
Financing - I researched leases, and found money factor to be much less on new E320 versu used S430 (0.00206 versus 0.00360)
In the end I opted for the E320, size factor since I drive windy mountain roads daily, liked benficial financing, and new warranty / service.
I did get the E3 pkg and am very impressed with Airmatic suspension.
Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
I'm in the same boat...

I've actually decided to go with the used S, although I will not be leasing. It sounds like you can get a better deal on a New E when entering a lease. In any event, I like the additional room in the S, not to mention it has a bit more power. Airmatic comes standard in the S, as does a sunroof. As far as pricing goes, I've been seeing 2001 S430's with less than 20,000 miles on them for between 50,000 and 53,000. The E-class I priced was ~53,000 after the options I wanted. After driving them both, the decision was pretty obvious. I'll be getting the S hopefully as soon as we're through winter here in PA. In any matter, you can't really lose out with either car. They're both amazing in each of their own rights. Good luck!
Todd

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a great money factor. What was your residual? 67%? Sportiness is a definate facto...

That is a great money factor. What was your residual? 67%? Sportiness is a definate factor, so maybe the E would be the choice, so long as a regular sized adult can fit comfortably in the back. I need to find a decent dealer now.. service has been an issue as I hear in the Orange County, CA area. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
If you want a sporty car with dynamic new styling, go for the E-Class. If you want a large...

If you want a sporty car with dynamic new styling, go for the E-Class. If you want a large, elegant car with traditional Mercedes-Benz styling, go for the S-Class.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after you drove the S, what were the items that won you over as compared to the E? Than...

So after you drove the S, what were the items that won you over as compared to the E? Thanks.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
These features are standard on the S-Class:

1. Door and trunk closing aids. I love them...

These features are standard on the S-Class:

1. Door and trunk closing aids. I love them! Not available on any other Mercedes-Benzes. Very handy feature.

2. COMAND. The GPS has been helpful although a bit hard to use. Option on the E-Class.

3. Heated seats. Option on the E320.

4. The S-Class has the best suspension in the world. It rides bumps as if there weren't any. Airmatic is an option on the E-Class.

Other reasons to consider the S-Class:

1. S430 is actually faster off the line than E320. So is S500 vs. E500.

2. The S-Class is more exclusive than the E-Class. There are only about 45,000 S-Classes in the U.S. vs. 245,000 for the old E-Class. The new E-Class will sell more than the old one by the end of the production run.

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
My thoughts...

Well, I can't stress it enough that they're both incredible cars. At this point, we're nit picking among tiny details. In any event, here were my thoughts:

Advantages of S over E
----------------------

- S430 is bigger and slightly more comfortable in the front seats
- S430 is much bigger in the rear seats.
- heated front and rear seats on S vs. just front seats on the E
- S430 has noticeably more power than the E320
- Navigation system included on S
- Instrument Cluster on E-class is not my favorite...I don't really like the LED gas and temperature guages.
- Airmatic included in S class
- obvious advantage of buying used over new: somebody else took the major depreciation hit!!!
- Didn't really like the brake-by-wire system in the E-class...I can't really explain myself on this one. It was just a matter of preference
- Status was a minor concern...alot of people see and S class and say "i wonder who's in that car". I normally don't care what people think about me, but sometimes it's kind of fun :)

Advantages of E over S
----------------------
- Lighter and more agile
- Better gas mileage
- some new technology (brakes, stereo system, bi-xenon headlights)
- slightly more catchy styling...i mention this simply because it's a new design. Less people have seen one.
- couple cool options that were not an option on 2001 S classes ( dynamic seats, dvd-navigation system, panoramic roof, solar panels..etc)

Overall, the choice was obvious for me. But, you need to figure out what is best for you. I'm coming from an SLK...the smallest benz, and going to the biggest benz. I got tired of the cramped quarters. Anyway, good luck with your decsion. Let me know if I can help you out anymore.

T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great- that helps a lot. thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts