Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just fitted a new CPU/key/steering lock and ignition set to my '97 E200 auto but the car is now running like crap.
It wont rev past 2k rpm and seems to backfire when reved.
It idles fine however.
Do I need to get fault codes?
Any ideas? I'm hoping the second hand cpu I fitted isn't faulty - which will be the worst case siniario.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get the codes tonight (tomorrow) I suspect a Mass Air Flow meter though.
No, the car is coughing and spluttering when slightly reved.
Puffs of smoke too. Like it was running on 3 cylinders.

Is there a possibility that the ECU that I have put in could be faulty? I know I can't do much without the codes, :eek:
My thinking is that if the ECU was faulty it wouldn't run at all, not just badly.
Thanks for your input, just trying to fault find by process of elimination at this stage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

The CPU is not recognized at all in the car.
A guy Came around to get the fault codes but couldn't communicate at all with the CPU. He said that the CPU must be the wrong one for the car. The car is starting, running (idling) all locks lights and no error messages on the dash but is in limp home mode.
The part number for the CPU set was the exact same as the one that came out of the car originally.
Anyone Else seen this before?

Is this possible?

Thanks.

·
Registered
35,778 Posts
Search current topics as I recall one of the members dealt with same, or similar issue.
Per my recollection he used advanced computer system to program new board for the car.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
The new part might be bad but as suggested you might need someone with the MB Star to flash, code or program (not sure of the proper term) the new board.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The new part might be bad but as suggested you might need someone with the MB Star to flash, code or program (not sure of the proper term) the new board.
Once it's connected to the right equipment it will say what needs to be done.
MM you are correct it will need to be reprogrammed, like I had to do with my TCU.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What equipment did the guy that came round have?
Yeah, it was a generic (non MB star) equipment.
I wasn't there myself :mad:
Anyway, I have had non MB equipment on the old ecu and it read the fault codes before without a problem. It should still pick up the ecu, me thinks....

This time however......no reading at all.
I asked the guy who sold me the ecu set if he ever saw this before and he said that he did, once before.
He also has the same sentiments as yourselves though.

MB star equipment to read the fault codes.

He is sending me another ecu/key/steering lock/barrel set which I should have early next week. If this doesn't work - I am looking at a loss of €300 on parts alone that I don't even know work correctly or not.

The car is parked up in a remote part of Donegal (Ireland) and it won't be easy to get MB star equipment on to the car.
I could be throwing good money after bad and the financial benefit of keeping this car alive is slowly disappearing. Especially if I have to go down the road of bringing the car to a MB dealer - which might be the only option.

Other ecu's have been fitted to cars without such drama and I am wondering if this is the norm or not.
I know every situation is different but I am getting disheartened by the whole affair to be honest.
I just hope the next set will fare out better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update

I got another ecu/key/steering lock/ ignition barrel set and the car now runs ok :thumbsup:
However, the locking system is acting up now.
You can open/close the car door locks and drive the car fine.
When you leave the car, lock the car and leave the car locked for a period of time, the fob will not open the car.
You have to use the steel key to open the drivers door, listen to the alarm sound for 30 seconds and then the key fob works.
As soon as you get the locks working the car drives fine and you can lock and unlock the car as often as you wish.
But, when you leave the car locked for any period of time (I don't know the exact length of time) the fob is useless.
When the ecu was fitted for the second time (he left the key in the ignition when he connected the battery) I don't know if this helps or not.

Cheers,

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to program with star diagnosis the key to allow the remote openning, the same to the ecu/key/steering lock/ it must be programmed to work correct.
Mercedes has various modules one for abs, key, ESP all connected to the main cpu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to program with star diagnosis the key to allow the remote openning, the same to the ecu/key/steering lock/ it must be programmed to work correct.
Mercedes has various modules one for abs, key, ESP all connected to the main cpu.
Thanks, all roads seem to lead to the star diagnostics. I can't help thinking that it works perfectly as in, opens the doors and locks doors. Its only after the car is locked up for a period of time. This would indicate to me that the key is recognised by all other components.

·
Registered
35,778 Posts
The 1997 remotes suppose to be user-programmable.
I did own one of those and the remote was always intermediate. I learned to come from the rear and if the remote failed, I used trunk mechanical lock to activate central locking. Lack of key lock on driver door is one of MB wonder.
From forum reviews, this is common problem on this system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts