Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Brand new member here, hoping for a bit of sage wisdom. My 2006 S430 expansion tank went bust so I bought a new one (online...Amazon) Everything looks good but the coolant sensor does not fit tightly. There's no discernable difference between the old coolant tank and the new one...no o-rings, or anything, but the sensor fits tight in the old one, but loose and wiggly in the new one. I'm not sure if there are different models of this, but this one simply inserts (only one way) and turns to click into place - no locking c-clip and not even an o-ring that I can see (from the old tank). I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with this...should the sensor always be ordered/replaced with a new coolant tank? With the different in how the existing sensor fits between the old and the new, I'm not sure a new sensor would fit any better. Wondering if I just got a wonky new tank even though everything else fits as expected. Maybe the lesson is to buy parts from the MB dealer?

Sorry, doesn't quite make sense to me so looking for thoughts on this.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I’ve had bad luck with most aftermarket cooling system parts on European cars.

Behr parts are OK.

Most are not.

Stick with OEM for things like this.

Does this leak? If so, replace it...

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
If it's Amazon, it's probably what we call, "Chinesium" around here. Even the so-called "Behr OEM" part turns out to be made in China, unfortunately. Fortunately, those tanks aren't that expensive if you go to MBOemParts.com, and they do come with a new sensor pre-installed as well. I just checked one of mine that I haven't installed just yet. Remember to use the Free Shipping promo code if you do buy it from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts