Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently bought a 91 300D in almost perfect shape. A priest or something owned it for most of its life. I'm new to Mercedes and I've had some problems I'm not sure how to tackle.

The tensioner needs to be replaced. I was going to do it myself but read that this turns into a five hour job that involves pulling pulleys and the fan off, etc etc. Is this true? How hard on scale of 10 is this job?

Second, its a small annoyance but it drives me nuts. I had my radio changed and ever since my rear locks don't work. I think he may have bumped one of the vacum lines or something. If there a simple fix to this or a common problem that I Can look into?

Lastly, this one is more a mechanic problem but Its not anything I'm familiar with. So when the steering wheel is straight, if you move the wheel to the left or right about 15 degrees it makes this pop noise that vibrates up thru the steering wheel and visibly in the tire. It only does it once on the initial turn. Nay leads on what this can be?

I appreciate all the help and have had wonderful luck on a previous Ford forum and hope to see similar results on this one!

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
The tensioner is a easy replacement. The tensioner is really nothing more than a spring, shock and a lever. Total labor time is well under 1 hour, EXCEPT if the timing cover that the lever screws into is cracking and needs to be replaced also.

Other than that it's a easy job. Use factory original pieces.

If the steering issue continues after tensioner replacement, your steering and/or suspension components are likely due for replacement.

Regardless, you should flush and replace the steering pump fluid & filter. It is one of the most neglected filters on these cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts