Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
CLS500,07 Cayman S,04 Ford Ranger Edge
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the latest C&D with a review of the CLS 500. It is most favorable regardling the styling, inside and out. The author gives the performance good marks, but still takes exception to the brakes (which maybe are being fixed as I type under this most recent "recall"/upgrade). Mine is being built this month for May delivery. Other writers commenting are not so favorable in their thoughts though.
The article was a little disturbing for me in two respects. The test car, a 500, had Drive Dynamic seats and I was told that they were only available in the CLS 55. I wonder if there has been a "running" change since I wanted them. My dealer has yet to return my call.
The other matter concerns the speed limiter. I asked my dealer and the sales manager, specifically, if the CLS 500 was limited to 130 as were all other non-AMG models. I was told "No". The CLS 500 comes with high speed tires (Y rated) that run about $300 each. The Car&Driver review says 130 mph, computer-limited! I'm so pissed about this, I may even cancel the order if this is the case. I really resent the "big brother" control here in a car this price. My G500 would hit almost 130! My '92 400SE was clocked at 151! All of the others, SLK 230, ML430, CLK320, CLK430 were all 130 limited too. Since I have access to a race track and go to track days, I refuse to pay this much for this car when my Miata and RX-8 will out run it! Today, BMW has raised the 130, to 150 on all their higher performance cars and even the 330i with the performance package. Friggin Hondas will out run it. This is a serious marketing mis-step in my book if this is the case. If anyone knows differently, I'd like to hear it. I've written to MBUSA, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[8]MBUSA called me! No Drive Dynamic seats for the CLS 500 and in keeping with Benz's policy on non-AMG cars, the CLS 500 (and all other MB's except the SLK and SL) are limited to 130 mph. This sucks! Just another expensive marketing ploy to equip the car with high speed (read expensive) tires that are of no real value other than they will wear out quickly as summer rubber will do. I'm am continually disappointed by these developments. But since my wife loves the CLS, we'll still get it next month. For my money (or $20k less), I'd rather have the C55.[:(]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I can tell you first hand that I own the CLS500 and I have taken it to 135 numerous times no room for faster. Think the limit is 159? But defineltly not 130....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ebonham - 4/10/2005 4:30 PM

Well I can tell you first hand that I own the CLS500 and I have taken it to 135 numerous times no room for faster. Think the limit is 159? But defineltly not 130....
Well, I hope you are right, but the info I received was directly from MBUSA. They actually called me. I'll find out at the first track day held in my area.

·
Registered
'04 E55 Tectite
257 Posts
ebonham - 4/10/2005 1:30 PM

This guy's a total BS'er I wouldn't believe a word he says.

·
Registered
3 Posts
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1209378&posts=1&fid=55

i have personally driven the car to little below 260 kmph, which is near 160 mph i think ... check the picture that i had posted for proof. btw its a cls 500

·
Registered
3 Posts
and yeh i love the cls .... best looking thing with seating for four...though we did squeeze a very enthusiastic fifth friend for a bit..man did he have it bad!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, the 130mph restriction only applies in the US according to MBUSA. So, if someone saw 135, you can figure at LEAST a 5% error, if not more at that speed. I saw the same thing on my '00 430CLK, but there it stopped. Also, the limiter is set at 155 for the S600, all SL, CL, and AMG cars; and the SLK (Renntech will up that for a mere $1500). But that's kind of the point. Those cars all come with Z or Y rated tires as does the CLS. Other more pedestrian Benzes have all season tires and properly are limited. Oh well, all the pissing and moaning in the world won't change it now...the car is due in Tuesday. I'll just have to be content with how pretty it is...especially compared to the photos I've been seeing of the new '07 S Class...that makes me a lot happier with the CLS

·
Registered
1990 300E, 2002 ML500
1,379 Posts
I thought they were all gov't regulated to 155. I saw the C230 was at 130, I thought that was due to the engine or design. That is kinda a pisser tho. From what I understand the limiter monitors engine stresses as well as its imposed limit and thus it will bend. No doubt the ECU, or whatever other computer controls the limit, can be hacked. You gotta realize that from Mercedes stand point the average driver will never legally go over 80MPH. Also you never know if the US gov't did not play a role in getting it to 130MPH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts