Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just bought a 1996 C36 and I have a few questions.<br><br>
<br><br>
First off, any suggestions for an antenna replacement? My guess is that someone unwisely took the car through a wash with the radio on, and now the antenna is stuck at half-mast. Should I just order the part from the dealership, or is there another option?<br><br>
<br><br>
Secondly, does anyone else have trouble getting the keyless entry to work? It's IR, so it obviously isn't very good in sunlight, but I'm wondering if my battery is low. Also, did the C36 ship with an alarm, or was that optional? How would I know if I had it?<br><br>
<br><br>
Third, I know it's still summer, but what about snow tires? Doesn't look like 16' wheels will fit with those brakes. Anyone have suggestions on (inexpensive) rims and snow tires that I won't mind banging up on potholes?<br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not too sure about your first two questions but as far as low cost wheels go you can get some 17' AMG Monoblock replicas from me for $209.00 each. These are German made and they are TUV approved. If you are interested in them call me at 800-624-5410 ext. 16. Thanks.<br> <br> Tony Downs<br> [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: New C36 Owner

I have A '97 C36 and last winter I installed a set of 16' MB wheels that came as stock on the '96-'98 E420,430 and they cleared the calipers just fine. They also take the same bolts as the 17' monoblocks. I bought mine new at the dealer but they can be found used. I fitted them with 205-55-16 michelins. The advantages are a narrower tire (less snowplowing) and more PSI's on the ground in the winter, as well as a slightly better ride over winter potholes. The results were a car that is acceptable in the snow as apposed to impossible.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Re: New C36 Owner

the antenna deal is standard ops those power antennas are always problems...always. You'll have to get it repaired. If you live in the northeast plan on a new one every three years the salt just kills them. I greased, oiled, lubed and so on still every htee years or less it will only go up half way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Re: Re: New C36 Owner

Thanks for the info, guys!<br> <br> Actually, I am pretty sure this antenna was the victim of a hostile car washing. It looks bent in the same way my old SAAB's did when I ran it through the wash with the radio blaring. DUH!<br> <br> So, how many hundreds do those things cost? And, this car has the cellphone - is that a different antenna?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#1) The attenna suck. I have gone through 3 of them and they are crappy.<br> <br> #2) The remote also is crappy. Fresh batteries or not the thing will not work well unless you are right on top of the car. Your car has a great alarm from the factory. If you jack the car up ( like you are towing it) it should go off. Its kills the motor and you have to unlock it via the remote to get it to start. <br> <br> #3) I did this after talking to AMG. The suggest using only 17' rims with a 225.45.17 snow tire. It makes a HUGE difference in snow. I bought a second set of 5 spoke AMG wheels which I like better and put the Monoblocks to the snow tires. <br> <br> 4) one last thing I hate. You can not remove the stereo thing that increases volume when you go faster. You will note the tunes get louder the faster you drive. No way on a 96 to remove this feature. USA cars. <br> <br>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts