Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm in NY and i've been looking to get a benz for some time now and have reached the decision to opt for a fully loaded C350. But just recently ran into what i thought was a great deal. A 2005 E55 AMG fully loaded 57K miles silver on black for $39k. Now these are obviously two different animals and in my mind i think i would like the AMG more. Mileage wont bother me since i commute via subway. I guess whats bugging me is that i will be buying a used one and have no previous experience with AMG issues, service, maintenance, reliability and so on. Any other issues or concerns should i have? What specifics should i look into? Any insight that you may have will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
158 Posts
wow, i would be the opposite and go for a C350.
personally i own a C300 and think the 350 would be all the performance my car lacks.
Maybe i just have a bias towards new cars versus used. BUT 57K??? thats a bit much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you driven an AMG? This one will make your head spin. I agree that 57K is alot but i am nowhere near having 80+k to buy a new one.

·
Registered
2000 E55
292 Posts
After you have the E55 checked by a MB mechanic....The W211 E55 is twice the car that the new C350 is! I would get a used W211 E55 over a new C350 any day of the week!

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
+1 Exactly right. Twice the price point new, and exactly twice the torque. Do you have any idea what 516 lbs of torque feels like? Trade in value is ~$43K less high mileage ($2K) = $41K; so the price point of $39K is a deal. Too good to be true? Spend the hundred bucks, and have MB perform a pre-purchase check. If she passes with flying colors go for it. Both cars will have issues down the line. One with a warranty and the other without. Perhaps, an aftermarket warranty is in order here for the latter. But, honestly, an E55 AMG engine can be described with one word: bulletproof. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
+1 Exactly right. Twice the price point new, and exactly twice the torque. Do you have any idea what 516 lbs of torque feels like? Trade in value is ~$43K less high mileage ($2K) = $41K; so the price point of $39K is a deal. Too good to be true? Spend the hundred bucks, and have MB perform a pre-purchase check. If she passes with flying colors go for it. Both cars will have issues down the line. One with a warranty and the other without. Perhaps, an aftermarket warranty is in order here for the latter. But, honestly, an E55 AMG engine can be described with one word: bulletproof. Good luck. :thumbsup:
^ WORD!

In fact, some may even argue that a w210 E55 AMG is also a good argument against the C350. Don't get me wrong, I kinda like the w204 too but even the w210's AMG engine is still a formidable beast to many MB enthusiasts. And a clean well-maintained example can be had for less than 20k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should i have any concerns in terms of getting it serviced and so on since its an AMG as supposed to a regular E?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts