Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 S55, new brakes from dealer $60, new disc rotors. Still one side is making a squeak! Driving me nuts. Is it possible these were the cheap ones at the dealer? Do they usually have different brands, grades? Some cheaper than others? Do these brakes usually have shims? My cousin ordered me this first pair and I saw them when he put them on. He probably ordered me the cheapest. I mean there is much worse noise before from the rotors and brakes, because the rotors were edgy and "liny". But one thing: We first changed the brakes, and then after I found out the noise is still there, we changed the rotors, so I am thinking maybe because we did that the noise will be there for good? I also used the de-squeak stuff on both sides and that worked for like a day and then it came back. But that noise is loud, if it wasn't I would have put up with it.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
2001 S55, new brakes from dealer $60, new disc rotors. Still one side is making a squeak! Driving me nuts. Is it possible these were the cheap ones at the dealer? Do they usually have different brands, grades? Some cheaper than others? Do these brakes usually have shims? My cousin ordered me this first pair and I saw them when he put them on. He probably ordered me the cheapest. I mean there is much worse noise before from the rotors and brakes, because the rotors were edgy and "liny". But one thing: We first changed the brakes, and then after I found out the noise is still there, we changed the rotors, so I am thinking maybe because we did that the noise will be there for good? I also used the de-squeak stuff on both sides and that worked for like a day and then it came back. But that noise is loud, if it wasn't I would have put up with it.
Sorry about the brake noise. Personally, I have never known a Mercedes dealer to have substituted a part but anything is surely possible.

These brakes do not have shims nor should they be needed. Your application of the “brake quiet” is normally a good idea but maybe there is a more fundamental issue.
There are several different pad and rotor versions for the S55 and there is a possibility that you might not have the right combination on your vehicle. Find a dealer parts department that you trust, and using the VIN have that dealer figure out what is the appropriate rotor and pad for your vehicle. Then check to see what was installed on your vehicle.

I tend to buy non dealer parts for everything BUT the brake system and I have been very satisfied, but you really need to be careful to make sure that you have the correct parts, even from the dealer.

There is also the possibility that the thin piece of metal that is on the outside of the pad has been left in the caliper from the previous pad. I have seen this more than once and it sets off a vibration/squeal.

·
Registered
, 2012 S600L designo, 2003 W211 220 CDI
226 Posts
new brakes and rotors for $60

is that a typo?

you cant do 1 wheel with good pads and rotor for that. I just had my S600 done all 4 wheel + parkbrake pad by main dealer for £900. ($1350 approx) indy with pattern parts was still quoted at $900 +

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
new brakes and rotors for $60

is that a typo?

you cant do 1 wheel with good pads and rotor for that. I just had my S600 done all 4 wheel + parkbrake pad by main dealer for £900. ($1350 approx) indy with pattern parts was still quoted at $900 +
I fully agree, the price is out of wack.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about the confusion. I meant to say the brake pads from the dealer were $60. The rotors I bought online, Zimmermann $100 each.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Next Steps

Zimmerman has a good reputation and you are using the Mercedes brake pads, so let’s assume for now that the parts are good. Here is what I would do to start this process:

1. Remove the wheel and look carefully at both sides of each rotor for any sort of cut or groove that might be forming. If you see anything like this all you will need to do is follow that groove to where something is grinding against the surface.

2. Remove the brake pads. The Benz brakes pads have an arrow cut in the outside backing plate. Make sure that the arrow is pointing in the direction that the wheel is turning when the vehicle is moving forward. This simple step will help to make sure that the pad is seated in the caliper correctly.

3. Look at the inside of the caliper and make sure that nothing (like an old backing plate) is stuck inside the caliper area.

4. Remove and support the caliper, and then slowly spin the rotor. See if it is turning true or if it is wobbling left to right. Take off the rotor and make sure that there isn’t any dirt or residue between the inside of the rotor face and the hub.

5. Carefully reassemble while making sure that everything is clean and in line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts