Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 190DT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 190DT turned 300k recently and I am thinking I want to keep her going. Top on list is doing the brakes. At this age I want to replace the calipers all around.

Been looking at all the usuall sites and wondering about some of the brands that are out there. Would like to do OEM Lucas, I think, seems to be pretty scarce. Most of the sites are offering NuGeon. Who are these guys any experience?

I made an inquiry with germanstar.net about the brands they are offering and they did not respond to an email. Usually not a good sign. Any experience with them?

There seems to be some part number differences than other standard 190Ds

Part numbers form EPC

LF 0004205283
RF 0004206283

LR 2014200283
RR 2014200383

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
If you are going to replace the calipers anyway, why not do a w124 big brake upgrade? The 124 4 pistons are a great improvement over stock with very little modification needed (just need to trim or remove the dust shields to clear the bigger calipers and rotors)

Just to show you the size difference-
Stock brakes from an 86 190e 2.3 on the left and stock 1995 E320 brakes on the right

·
Registered
1987 190DT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going to replace the calipers anyway, why not do a w124 big brake upgrade?

Hmm, interesting ideas. I assume this is rear and would do same upgrade to the rear? Would I need to reset the front/back brake bias on this upgrade?

J

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
The brakes pictured are the fronts, you can just as easily upgrade the rears as well. 190e stock rear is a dual piston caliper with a solid rotor, stock e320 is dual piston with a larger diameter solid rotor, 400E/E420 is a dual piston with the same diameter as the e320, but vented. some people insist that you have to upgrade to a larger master cyl and booster, but I am still running the stock 1986 master/booster with no problems. The brakes work great and have saved me from at least 3 bad accidents with the incredibly stupid drivers around my town. I originally did the brake upgrade for esthetic reasons (I enjoy having a good looking car) but I highly recommend this upgrade as a safety factor. When my old 190 died, I took my 124 brakes off and immediately put them on my new 190.

I got my calipers from a local junk yard for $5/each, then got new rotors all around for $120 and a set of ceramic pads off of rock auto for $60. So for $200 I got new brakes all around and did a major brake upgrade at the same time. I dont normally suggest using JY calipers right off the car, but I knew the previous owner of the car I got them off of and knew that they were good. Even so, JY calipers + rebuild kits would be cheaper than new calipers.

You can find these brakes on any 94-95 E320, any w124 400E or E420, or 1990+ 300CE. Make sure you get the VIN off of what ever car you get the brakes off of, as they made two different types of rotors over a two year period and you'll need to make sure you get the right ones.

The thing to keep in mind is that the e320/400e/e420 front brakes will not clear the stock 190e rims. They will clear the 15'' "8 hole'' style wheels (the ones with no lip that came on the sportlines and the later w124, the ones with the lip that came on the w202 c-class will not clear due to offset)

Clearing the 8 holes....barely-

So you will have to make sure you have wheels that will clear the brakes. This was not an issue for me, because I had upgraded to 17'' wheels before I did the brakes

I'll be glad to help any way that I can. Some inspiration for you-

·
Registered
1987 190DT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twichel04

Thanks for the details. I am running the stick 15s so would need to find a set of bigger wheels. Would look good for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts