Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new battery via MB Roadside Assistance yesterday after getting 9 years out of the original :-0 For those interested, I live in the Northern VA/Wash DC area and my total cost was $174 and change.

After the battery change, when I shut off the car the radio stays on and I have to turn it off manually. Before the change, the radio would shut off when the ignition was shut off. What gives? How can I change it back so the radio will shut down automatically?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,581 Posts
Did the roadside assist guy code the radio after installing the battery, or did you? If he did it he might have version coded it wrong. If you have the radio code (and you should have), disconnect the neg. battery cable, reattach and go through the process of entering the code again.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the roadside assist guy code the radio after installing the battery, or did you? If he did it he might have version coded it wrong. If you have the radio code (and you should have), disconnect the neg. battery cable, reattach and go through the process of entering the code again.
The Roadside Assistance tech coded the radio. How would I confirm the correct code? I have it written in the radio manual from the previous owner, but if it's not correct...?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,581 Posts
I'm not too sure about this, but I would assume that if he had no problem coding it, it's a safe bet that your code is the same. In any case I would get in touch with the dealer who responded to your roadside call and explain the problem. Maybe they will send someone else out who can recode it properly and that will give you the opportunity to check your code against his.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not too sure about this, but I would assume that if he had no problem coding it, it's a safe bet that your code is the same. In any case I would get in touch with the dealer who responded to your roadside call and explain the problem. Maybe they will send someone else out who can recode it properly and that will give you the opportunity to check your code against his.
I did this and was told by the Roadside guy that he thought that there was a communication problem between the ESM and the radio. I would have to bring it in to the dealer and have them re-teach the ESM and radio to communicate and the cost would be several hundred dollars. He sugested I leave the car as is and just maunally power off the radio each time instead of spending the money :-(

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,581 Posts
I did this and was told by the Roadside guy that he thought that there was a communication problem between the ESM and the radio. I would have to bring it in to the dealer and have them re-teach the ESM and radio to communicate and the cost would be several hundred dollars. He sugested I leave the car as is and just maunally power off the radio each time instead of spending the money :-(
There is no communication problem, he just coded it the wrong way and this is just an excuse to make money.

Providing you have the instructions to reset the radio code try this first. Take the key out of the ignition and remove the negative battery cable for two minutes or so and then reattach the cable, but do not tighten the nut, because you might have to go to the alternative solution. Then turn the key to the on position and leave it there for a couple of minutes and turn the key off. Do not start the truck and then follow the instructions for entering the radio code and see if the radio turns off when you turn off the key.

If this did not do the trick, then the alternative solution is similar to the first. Remove the key from the ignition, remove the negative battery cable and put a rag over the neg. terminal of the battery. Now get a piece of wire long enough to reach both battery cables. Strip both ends of the wire and wrap one end around the positive cable and with the other end, rub the jumper wire against the neg. battery cable for about three secs. or so. Please do not think that there is any danger involved. There will be no sparks. Nothing will happen Remove the jumper wire and then reattach the neg. battery cable. This process will erase, what is called Keep Alive Memory. Then go about recoding the radio and see if it works properly. Below is a drawing I made so you can better understand the process.

In any event whether either solution works or not, turn the key to the on position for a few minutes, then turn off and start the truck. DO NOTtouch the gas pedal and let the truck idle for 10 mins. This will give the computers time to relearn. Then if there are any problems, follow these steps:

1. Code radio.
2. Set time on instrument cluster.
3. If necessary, set time at stationary heater timer
4. Start engine and run at idle. Turn steering wheel from on lock position to the other to activate steering angle sensor.
5. If equipped, normalize tilting/sliding roof. Open sunroof and hold down switch. Sunroof moves to end position and pulls back ¼ turn and stops. If equipped with lamella sliding roof, close roof and keep switch pressed fro 5 to 10 seconds.
6. Normalize power windows. Completely close each window with manual switch. Hold switch in closed position for 5 seconds.
7. If there is no throttle response, with ignition on and engine not running, slowly press gas pedal all the way down and then slowly release all the way up to re-learn throttle settings.

Please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks! I'll try this on Sunday if I have time and I'll report back. I appreciate the time you put into the response.

After re-reading your response the Roadside tech may have may this error...after installing the new battery, he immediately started the truck and then programmed the code. Perhaps this caused the problem.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I tried this first:
Providing you have the instructions to reset the radio code try this first. Take the key out of the ignition and remove the negative battery cable for two minutes or so and then reattach the cable, but do not tighten the nut, because you might have to go to the alternative solution. Then turn the key to the on position and leave it there for a couple of minutes and turn the key off. Do not start the truck and then follow the instructions for entering the radio code and see if the radio turns off when you turn off the key.
1. diconnected battery for 3 minutes, re-connected
2. left key in on position for 2.5 minutes (radio was off)
3. turned key off, left in ignition, powered radio on, entered code...radio worked
4. started car, radio still on
5. turned off car, radio still on :-(

Will try the second half of your suggestion later. Any specific type of wire I need to scrounge up? Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,581 Posts
Well, I tried this first:
1. diconnected battery for 3 minutes, re-connected
2. left key in on position for 2.5 minutes (radio was off)
3. turned key off, left in ignition, powered radio on, entered code...radio worked
4. started car, radio still on
5. turned off car, radio still on :-(

Will try the second half of your suggestion later. Any specific type of wire I need to scrounge up? Thanks.
No specific type of wire. It could even be a coat hanger, just as long as you make contact with both ends.

·
Registered
1999 MTrash 430, its a joke
190 Posts
I think you are over analyzing this problem. You said the battery was replaced? Then the tech entered the radio, and the radio worked? But now you remove the key and the radio stays on?

If these are all correct you probably have a blown fuse (i think #10). check that first. Ive seen it many times after a battery repalcement and jump starts.

On a side note: entering the radio code is easy, no need to disconnect the battery and cycle the key multiple times. When it asks for the code, you punch it in. If it says code after you punched it in, it was either entered wrong or the code is wrong. You have 3 attempts to enter it before it locks you out. Then its a waiting game, you need to leave the key in the #2 position until it says code. If it says WAIT, then it could be up to an hour. If it says HOLD, then it could be upto 24hours. The last one may not apply to your vehicle.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,581 Posts
I think you are over analyzing this problem. You said the battery was replaced? Then the tech entered the radio, and the radio worked? But now you remove the key and the radio stays on?

If these are all correct you probably have a blown fuse (i think #10). check that first. Ive seen it many times after a battery repalcement and jump starts.

On a side note: entering the radio code is easy, no need to disconnect the battery and cycle the key multiple times. When it asks for the code, you punch it in. If it says code after you punched it in, it was either entered wrong or the code is wrong. You have 3 attempts to enter it before it locks you out. Then its a waiting game, you need to leave the key in the #2 position until it says code. If it says WAIT, then it could be up to an hour. If it says HOLD, then it could be upto 24hours. The last one may not apply to your vehicle.
Drew, this is not a problem where he cannot code the radio. He can code the radio and it plays fine, it is just that when he turns the ignition off, the radio does not turn off. All was working fine until his battery went dead and he called roadside assistance and after he left that's when the problem was discovered.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Drew, this is not a problem where he cannot code the radio. He can code the radio and it plays fine, it is just that when he turns the ignition off, the radio does not turn off. All was working fine until his battery went dead and he called roadside assistance and after he left that's when the problem was discovered.
Yes, thats how I was understanding the issue also. Just wanted to clarify it, he should check the fuse.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,581 Posts
Yes, thats how I was understanding the issue also. Just wanted to clarify it, he should check the fuse.
How could a blown fuse (#10) continue to operate the radio even with the key out of the ignition? Maybe I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How could a blown fuse (#10) continue to operate the radio even with the key out of the ignition? Maybe I'm missing something here.
The radio still gets a 30 circuit to the rear of the radio. When the fuse #10 blows, the radio never sees the 15r circuit(off the convience relay) being switched off. So it will not turn off when the key is removed, and you have to manually turn the radio off. So basically the radio never knows the key is cycled off.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is no communication problem, he just coded it the wrong way and this is just an excuse to make money.

If this did not do the trick, then the alternative solution is similar to the first. Remove the key from the ignition, remove the negative battery cable and put a rag over the neg. terminal of the battery. Now get a piece of wire long enough to reach both battery cables. Strip both ends of the wire and wrap one end around the positive cable and with the other end, rub the jumper wire against the neg. battery cable for about three secs. or so. Please do not think that there is any danger involved. There will be no sparks. Nothing will happen Remove the jumper wire and then reattach the neg. battery cable. This process will erase, what is called Keep Alive Memory. Then go about recoding the radio and see if it works properly. Below is a drawing I made so you can better understand the process.

In any event whether either solution works or not, turn the key to the on position for a few minutes, then turn off and start the truck. DO NOTtouch the gas pedal and let the truck idle for 10 mins. This will give the computers time to relearn. Then if there are any problems, follow these steps:

1. Code radio.
2. Set time on instrument cluster.
3. If necessary, set time at stationary heater timer
4. Start engine and run at idle. Turn steering wheel from on lock position to the other to activate steering angle sensor.
5. If equipped, normalize tilting/sliding roof. Open sunroof and hold down switch. Sunroof moves to end position and pulls back ¼ turn and stops. If equipped with lamella sliding roof, close roof and keep switch pressed fro 5 to 10 seconds.
6. Normalize power windows. Completely close each window with manual switch. Hold switch in closed position for 5 seconds.
7. If there is no throttle response, with ignition on and engine not running, slowly press gas pedal all the way down and then slowly release all the way up to re-learn throttle settings.

Please let us know how you make out.
Finally had some time to spend with the truck today. The above procedure did not work. The radio will still not shut off with the ignition.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
The radio still gets a 30 circuit to the rear of the radio. When the fuse #10 blows, the radio never sees the 15r circuit(off the convience relay) being switched off. So it will not turn off when the key is removed, and you have to manually turn the radio off. So basically the radio never knows the key is cycled off.
Will have an update tomorrow morning.
JAD, I'm interested, did you check fuse #10 as the member above suggested?

·
Registered
91 350 turbo
1 Posts
Radio code help

I am new to this writing in this type of forum, so here goes.
I just got my first M.B. 91 350 turbo deisel, I pulled the battery and did some work now the radio just says the word code on it's face when I turn it on. My vin is wdbcb34exma588602 . Having said that if somone can help me with a code, How do I put it in.
Thanks jdkiefer

·
Registered
01ML55 84 Porsche 944, 03 Eurovan, 98 M3 4 door, 01 964 C4 Targa
148 Posts
I had the same problem. Mine was really weird, the wipers also stayed powered on. My wife came in the house asking me about the feature that wiped the windshield when you were notaround the car. Look close after you close the door and see if the three orange lights in the cluster are staying on. The OD, clock and whatever the other one is. Pull the #10 comfort relay, it should go off. Put the realy back in and see it stays on. I did mine a couple times and now it works fine. Don't worry about disconnecting the battery while doing this, it won't hurt anything. Good luck.

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts