1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 e320 4matic

VIN: WDBJF82J5YX034704

Recently replaced my dead battery, and have most things back to normal, except for the Nav/CD Drive and my retrofitted bluetooth system, which is comprised of "VCS Module: A220 820 64 26" and "PSE: BQ682-0971" and MB V60 bluetooth puck with MB factory phone cradle.

V60 puck appears to have no power (after numerous reseats).

When I checked the COMAND DTC error codes after battery install, I saw the following:

SAE Code Type CNT State
N111 0 12 P (No data between D2B & D2N)
B1010 0 5 P (Low supply voltage)
B1762 0 14 A (Fault in CAN-Nav comm)
B1780 0 16 P (Fault in CAN-Instrument cluster comm)

After clearing error codes and using car for a day, and still having no Nav/CD or bluetooth, I only saw the following error code:

B1762 0 14 A (Fault in CAN-Nav comm)

When I checked for D2B Components, there is only a single entry:

Pos Actual Config
0 1C8 1C8 (COMAND)

And, when I did the D2B Wakeup Test, all of the following entries were unchecked:

- CDC
- Telephone
- SBC
- Sound
- Mobile Phone

NAV COMAND panel says "Navigation cannot be activated". And, sometimes the CD COMAND panel shows "CD0" (but I only have a single CD Drive), other times it seemingly endlessly shows "Activating CD". Radio works fine. TEL COMAND panel shows "Error: No Phone".

Any ideas on what is going on and how to proceed? Did version coding get corrupted for VCS and/or Nav/CD? Did voltage issue during battery install fry my VCS or fuse(s)? Anyways, everything worked perfectly for years, until battery replacement. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
I am answering here rather than by reply email, because it lets other forum members see whether your question has been answered, or whether you need more.

Also, your email omitted the year and model of your car; I was able to decode it from the VIN you provided, but it causes extra work. Glad you included it in this post; I would encourage you to include it under your avatar, via the user Control panel.

I would also encourage you to post in the open forum, and reserve email or private message correspondence for situations were open forum posts have not answered your question.

OK, on to the situation. Your '00 E-Class has a "Universal" PSE and V60 puck. The D2B wake-up test shows many of your components are not waking up; this is because they are not being shown or registered by the COMAND unit.

I suspect that this disruption occurred because of the battery change. I suggest you try to cure it by forcing COMAND to re-poll the bus, and look for installed components. This can be done by turning off power to COMAND, disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes , then reconnecting it and turning power back on. Be sure to remove your key while disconnecting the battery. You may also be able to do this by 1) turning COMAND power off and removing the key; 2) Opening the driver's door, and waiting approximately 2 minutes (you can leave it open or close it after opening - up to you); 3) Insert the key and trunk so that electronics are powered (position 2) - or you may just go ahead and start the car; and 4) Turn COMAND back on.

Hopefully, your components will be "found" by the COMAND unit and everything will be OK. You can check their status in the same menus that you checked in order to provide the information in the first post (despite the earlier minor suggestions, it was an excellent post that thoroughly described the problem).

Please post a follow-up to et us know how this worked out. If the problems continue, you might find this helpful: http://www.mercupgrades.com/display_article_list.php and especially http://www.mercupgrades.com/Mercedes+COMAND+Diagnostic++Service++Mode-article-13.html for interpreting the error codes.

And, if you find other things not working properly because of the battery change, post #14 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1302190-ive-had-2.html#post2216730 might be helpful.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry to miss various norms here -- it was my 1st post and I am desperate to get my car fixed ASAP, for various reasons.

I love my 2000 e320 4matic -- it has been a saviour in Boston snow, in Virginia ice, and in Florida torrential thunderstorms. Somewhere before 2000, MB really did perfect all wheel drive, as I was often one of the very few successful cars on the road in these various extremal circumstances.

So, to the task at hand: It is quite startling to me that changing a battery could disrupt so many subsystems. Surely better CMOS/software implementations could have prevented this. But, this car was designed well over a decade ago... probably almost two decades ago, given production queues. So it goes...

I have tried your suggestions about disconnecting the battery, which have generated some interesting results. The most interesting data was my first battery disconnect, for 10 minutes. (Incidentally, in a 2000 e320 4matic, this is easily done by simply disconnecting the negative battery lead which is exposed by a little plastic cover on the right-rear-seat footwell -- very cool, as you do not need to pop the rear seat to do power-loss resets. It's almost as if MB knew...) So, after this initial 10 minute disconnect, my CD returned and played music, and, my bluetooth puck had a blue light, and, my iPhone said that I was connected -- unfortunately, COMAND did not recognize my bluetooth connect. So, I turned off the car. And, nothing came back -- I was back to the same COMAND panels that I posted above. And, CDs no longer played and bluetooth was a non-starter..

So, being the impetuous soul that I am, I tried a longer battery disconnect -- for about one hour. After this, the CD Player seemed to be properly recognized, but would play no CDs. And, my only error messages involved B1762 navigation, and the D2B messages reverted to the above. So, my 10-minute reset was seemingly way more effective. I am once again at a loss to figure out what is going on.

To make a long story short, I am back where I started.

-- Bill

P.S. -- I have been a reader of these forums, on and off, for many years, and Skylaw posts are often definitive on very tough engineering topics. Skylaw is to be commended for being both a scholar and a gentleman, as he both generates, and curates, knowledge. Thanks Skylaw!

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks like version coding got corrupted or something in COMAND is broken -- my guess is version coding. I will go to MB dealer soon to see if that is the problem.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do.

BTW, what is the relationship between version coding and the COMAND system? From the results of disconnecting battery, it seemed that COMAND would do a hard reset, start to pick up D2B things, and then have them blown away (by version coding?)

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Version coding is somewhat akin to telling the registry in a Windows operating system that a new piece of equipment has been installed; or sometimes, if the registry picks up the device, telling the registry what it is.

Your description of what is happening is probably accurate - COMAND is doing a hard reset and re-polling the fiber optics bus, but something is interrupting completion of the process. Unfortunately I don't know if it is the version coding or something else that is causing the failure.

What follows is a guess - but it is all I can offer.

Your guess that version coding must be re-done is a good one, especially because of the results of the D2B wake-up test you did. The results seem almost like a Windows registry that has sensed "something" new has been connected, and doesn't know what it is.

On the other hand, your COMAND may need a firmware update (actually, a re-load); because it seems to have successfully polled the bus, the version coding may be OK (otherwise, the COMAND would not even look for the equipment) - but something else is preventing successful completion of the task. In the W220 of the same vintage, intermittent failure of an individual component is often cured by reloading the COMAND firmware (it used to happen with the radio a lot).

There is one other possibility: Disconnected or loose fiber optics. Ordinarily, if the fiber optics loop is open one will get the initial splash screen, then the system will shut down. Your indications are different - but i would not discount the possibility. Take a look at the phone bulletin for the '00 E-Class sedan at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/phone_bulletins.htm for some help in locating components (I suspect from your detailed initial writeup that you already know where they are).

It is also possible that one component was damaged on the loop, and will no longer pass light. That could happen if the key was left in the ignition during the battery change, or during a jump start. If you come to believe that is the explanation, see http://www.carstereohelp.com/mercedesFiberOptic.htm - but you describe a complete loss of operation of some components, and not a loss of audio - so I don't place a lot of stock in that being the problem.

Wish I could give you more - but unless it is an open fiber optic loop, it is going to require some STAR diagnostics.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
>>So, to the task at hand: It is quite startling to me that changing a battery could
>>disrupt so many subsystems.

For convenience and perhaps some safeguard for the car's electronics, I usually disconnected the thin ground cable at the right rear passenger's foot well before handling the big cables at the battery.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point. I discovered this little plastic cover on the right-rear-seat footwell quite by accident during my battery disconnect tests, but did not know about it when AAA came to replace my battery. UGH...

BTW, I should have more info about my case tomorrow, when I go to dealership and have them check version coding and COMAND.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After going to dealership yesterday, here is some more info, mostly exasperating:

- MB Star cannot even see COMAND in my car. Tech and I tried many times. Tech thought that this was because MB Star has has had so many updates at his dealership that it no longer recognizes old/early COMAND systems. Comments?

- Tech/dealer had no disk to try and reload or update the COMAND system on my car -- it is too old for them. They looked everywhere, trust me. How does one get old COMAND reloads? Any help here would be appreciated. This should be just an ISO file for a disc floating around somewhere on WWW. Anyone know how to get this ISO? More importantly, has anyone posted sets of ISOs related to COMAND?

- Tech did see blue light on my v60 bluetooth puck after fuse resets, like I saw after my 1st battery reset, but blue light quickly disappeared for him too. Again, this suggests some sort of software contention, or (less likely) an electrical short. How does MB systems software (i.e., below Star) work?

- My in-dash Bose CD player, which worked fine after one of my battery disconnects, seems to have lost power, again, finally. After my 1st battery disconnect, I played almost an entire CD in blissful solitude. But, after the next power up, the CD Player died, seemingly forever. This is the MOST PUZZLING problem to me. So, my radio and speakers all work fine, which would mean that my D2B optics are functioning at a basic loop level. (We unplugged, one-by-one, all other loop connects, and this did not change behavior.) Does anyone know about PSE failures that support radio, but shutdown CD and Bluetooth through some weird voltage screwups? Could I have a barely-working PSE? If my VCS were fried, I would not get radio, according to most accounts that I have read. And, like blue light on puck, VCS via stick on steering wheel, shows up momentarily after resets.

- Tech noticed that my cradle cord was slightly frayed and wondered if this could be causing problem. Wire shorts do have a way a wreaking havoc... I will buy new cradle cord (or, equivalent non-cradle cord). But, how could my cradle cord be washing back so far into my system as to cause the problems that I am having?

- Tech told me that version coding lived in COMAND in my car, which I doubt. So, where does "version coding" information REALLY live in W210 2000 e320 cars like mine with Bose COMAND systems? Presumably, MB used CMOS to store custom, non-volatile storage. So, where the hell is storage for "version coding"? I doubt it is in COMAND CMOS, which is probably a slave to other basic system CMOS -- is there fundamental CMOS storage for D2B or CAN? If so, how is it accessed? I am a bit annoyed by the lack of information involving the memory storage mechanism for "version coding" in W210 cars, and I have pilfered many MB docs on this. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Again, only remaining bugs are:

- Persistent "B1762 0 14 A (Fault in CAN-Nav comm)" errors. No other errors via Mute-1-3.
- Dead in-dash Bose CD player.
- Dead telephone/bluetooth.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Its a torrent, which is a file that is downloaded by programs like Utorrent...

Its just a suggestion, that site may not have it but others may. I was actually surprised that something like car software was available at all...

Isohunt
kickasstorrents
and fenopy are just some sites that I know of.

Goodluck.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Regarding post #10 -

I doubt that MB has changed STAR so that it cannot recognize older COMANDs. There could be a problem with your COMAND unit (and this problem may result in the error code you are getting; COMAND does connect with the CAN Bus, but the bus is having problems communicating with COMAND).

It is a shame your dealer has not kept the COMAND firmware CDs that they were sent by MB specifically to be able to reload firmware when necessary. The dealers I have used kept all the discs filed in a book, and had the discs that went all the way back to the '00 model year. The disc does not carry a part number, but a tool number, since it was only released to the service departments.

The ISO files for early COMAND updates available on the web are for European versions and will not load in your U.S. COMAND.

I have not seen the problem you report, anywhere else - including a possible short in your phone system's copper wiring. But on a long shot - have you checked fuses throughout the system?

Your tech is correct that in your model car, version coding is done on the COMAND unit, which is the fiber optic controller. In later systems, the Audio Gateway is the fiber optics controller.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all the informative posts. BenzWorld is an amazing place, with supersmart people!

Skylaw points out that my COMAND unit may be bad, and I am working on finding a replacement, if need be.

However, I have reason to believe that dealership was not doing a great job here, and that COMAND may be salvageable. When I go into Diagnostics submenu via Mute-1-3 maneuver, I still see COMAND (i.e., 1C8) properly version coded, but that is all I see, as all my other version codes (i.e., those for PSE and VCS) have disappeared. And, again, nothing is showing up in D2B wakeup test. Interestingly, friend with Snap-On tool could also not see COMAND. (Does COMAND die during battery replacement screwups? If only I/AAA had known about the little plastic gizmo in the right rear footwell that enables a simple disconnect of negative lead -- should one always disconnect this negative lead before replacing battery?)

It would be great if I could simply refresh the COMAND software, but my CD Drive is not working.

Skylaw asks if I have done a fuse check. I have done a thorough check of fusebox near battery jumpers under hood and fusebox under rear seat. Are there any other fuses that I should check?

SO......... I am beginning to drill down on culprit possibly being TeleAid, which has a far higher failure rate that PSE and VCS gear, and is quite useless, if one can disentangle it from SRS gear. If TeleAid is in the D2B loop and is fried/frying, that would explain a lot, especially if my Disk Drive is also in the D2B loop. I know that PSE and VCS used to be in the D2B loop via Diagnostics submenu info, but do not remember if CD Drive and TeleAid were also listed.

BIG QUESTION: In my car, with its single in-dash CD Bose COMAND (i.e., no CD Changer in trunk), are both TeleAid and the CD Drive in the D2B loop?

And, if so, where is TeleAid hardware in my car? Under rear seat or in trunk? And, how do I identify it, wherever it is? If it is in loop in my car, I would like to pull it out of loop for unit testing of PSE and VCS modules.

My big hope is that TeleAid is in the D2B loop, and that when I pull it out of loop, my CD Drive will work again, and I can reload COMAND firmware and unit test PSE on loop. (Actually, I will toss VCS if it is does not pass unit test, as I never used it.)

But, Skylaw could well end up being correct here: my COMAND unit may be fried. Is there any way to prove this? Both STAR and Snap-On did not see COMAND... Is this data alone definitive?

Again, thanks for all your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts