·
Registered
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Got my back box fitted today.

I’m very happy with it.

It looks so much better than the one I had before. This new tailpipe is now big enough to fit nicely in the cut-out in the bumper. The one I had before was too small and didn’t follow the line of the cut-out at all. :(

Admittedly, I wanted to position the back box so that the tailpipe is closer to the bumper – as you can see there is about a quarter of an inch between the tailpipe and the bumper.

However, I needed to ensure that the back box and connecting pipe were at a safe/ comfortable distance away from other components – it is a pretty snug fit under there!

I also had to bring the back box out alittle to create more of a gap between the connecting pipe and the rear axle. This made the tailpipe stick out the back of the car abit more – this I am also happy with! :D

The back box is quieter than the one I had on before but I actually prefer this. Before, it was nice to have abit more of a deep growl compared to the VERY conservative original box…. But I have to say, after a while, the deep boom starts to get to you – especially on long gradule inclines. :mad:

Me and the Mad Doctor (well.... the Mad Doctor anyway - hee hee) also set to work on changing the secondary air injection valve – this was a bastard to remove and as you can see, the Mad Doctor needed to take more of an ‘elevated’ position! :eek:

This concerned me somewhat, but I have much faith in him. :bowdown:

I will post a video as soon as I can to give you an idea of how it sounds.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welcome home...

Also, when I got back from having the back box fitted.... I discovered that my cat had brought me a gift!

She happily pounded it round the place spreading it's feathers everywhere!

She was most pleased with herself.

Proper little hunter!

Also, I've noticed that there's a squirrel knocking about with 3 legs!! - I reckon it had a lucky escape from my little hunter!!

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does back box = muffler?

any vids?
How do you mean?

I got a new rear section of the exhaust fitted. I've always known this section to be called the back box. It may be refered to by a muffler, I'm not sure.

As for vids...well, it wouldn't sound all that impressive to you guys over there who have the bigger V6's & V8's. Can't compete with that I'm afraid. Having said that, I am very happy with it.

It's quieter than my old one (not the original.. I had one made a couple of years back. It sounded nice and deep but looked like shit!) and the new one looks alot better. I wanted a nice big oval tailpipe to fill the cut-out on my rear bumper. I also wanted the tailpipe to stick out alittle. Seeing Williams707's exhaust made me get off my arse and look for one. It turns out that his is also a Supersprint.

The built quality is also very good. Even my guy at MB was impressed with the way they got 2 pipes to 'fuse' together so smoothly before entering the box. I'll probably look to replace the other sections of the exhaust at some point too. I hear that replacing the manifold and cat makes quite alot of difference.

I like what you've done with your exhaust system by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts