Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up on Ebay from a German dealer for about $10 US. Fits perfect and the finish is a perfect match. He has several different lengths available. I opted for the shortest one.

Doesnt do much for reception, but I dont really listen to broadcast radio as I use Sirius and the CD changer.

Attachments

·
Registered
190E 2.3 & SLK230K
403 Posts
nice! u shouldve color matched it!!

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
I bought that "antenna" of the guy on ebay as well. It actually isn't an antenna but simply a cap that screws on. The reception you get is the same as without it since it doesn't actually connect to the cars antenna cable. See my previous post below.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1198760&posts=9&hl=antenna
I ended up getting the SL antenna cap and base from the dealer. It comes pre painted to match your car and actually works. On a black clar it is doesn't matter too much but a red antenna with a red base would look mutch better than the black on your car. You just have to spend a bit more money. Installing the new base and cap was pretty easy and only took me 5 minutes.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
I got the same one for my SLK but like you said, the reception was very poor with it on. I took it off and put the original one back on.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
E-Klasse can I have your old one?

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Looks good. Painting it to match the body color would be cool.

While I like the look I rely on my stereo too much to give up any reception.

That being said I am driving a loaner right now and it is killing me not to have the OmniFi MP3 player handy. I am tired of listening to crap radio in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CMOROSCO - 5/8/2005 2:17 PM

bought that "antenna" of the guy on ebay as well. It actually isn't an antenna but simply a cap that screws on. The reception you get is the same as without it since it doesn't actually connect to the cars antenna cable. See my previous post below.
Youre right. It doesnt connect to the coax and if you want good broadcast radio reception this isnt the one for you. I bought it strictly for looks and since I only use Sirius and the CD changer reception isnt a big issue for me. If I ever find myself in need of the radio, the OEM one is in the trunk [:D]

430 - 5/9/2005 8:23 AM

Looks good. Painting it to match the body color would be cool.

While I like the look I rely on my stereo too much to give up any reception.

That being said I am driving a loaner right now and it is killing me not to have the OmniFi MP3 player handy. I am tired of listening to crap radio in the morning.
This guy actually had these things already prepainted in many different colors, but I thought, with a black base it might look a little weird with a red antenna unless I painted the base too.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Mine matches the color of my car. And it came from the factory that way...[8D]

(Yes the car was picked up in Germany at the factory)

I have noticed the reception on the radio could be slightly better, and would be with the taller antenna I am sure. I think the smaller antenna just looks better. My two cents.

Color matching antennas may be a nich market.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cmorosco - 5/10/2005 1:24 AM

Why not get the red SL base and red Sl antenna to replace the black ones?
$$$$$$

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
60 Posts
Looks GREAT! I purchased the same antenna from a German dealer on ebay for $25 - mine was guaranteed to get clear reception, and it seems to me to be no different than the tall one - anyway - they look a lot nicer than the tall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts