Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bit the bullet and bought a CDI. Ended up with a 'Desert Silver' 2005 with 100k miles on it. One owner car, and he kept up on the maintenance pretty well. Bought it this past Monday, and have really been enjoying it over the past week. Haven't had time to get around to any maintenance things, except for topping off the power steering fluid, but before too long I'm going to change the transmission fluid, diff fluid, and brake fluid. Debating taking it in to have that last one done. Also, gotta get some dipsticks, because I just can't stand not knowing! Looking forward to living with this car! And, of course, a big thank you to everyone hear for giving me the info and confidence to own this beast. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
Congrats, you definitely will have to take it to the dealer for brake fluid change unless you own a SDS. SBC unit valves are easy to damage from improper fluid flush and it is going to cost you, this is the only thing I take the car to the dealer.
Enjoi it.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
Congrats , very nice looking ride. I guess you and I were looking for '05-'06 CDI in the same time ( bought my '05 black CDI only 2 weeks ago ) I bet you probably seen it during your search ...it was listed as one owner trade-in near Knoxville TN with only 73600 on the clock...had some worries about "gap" in service records according to CarFax , but one call to local dealer with inquiry on VMI confirmed that previous owner done tranny , breaks & battery change by certified INDIE at 60 000 which left me only with fuel filter & oil change... service "D" is coming in 5000miles planning to visit dealer for break fluid flush and ECU update aggrrh...but Oh well - can not do it myself.
Many Benz enjoyable miles to you , cheers!

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
I saw in your original post that you topped off the power steering fluid. My 06E320 CDI (106K) and matter of fact all modern MB (1999 and later) that I have had have never lost any PS Fluid. If I were you I would look for leaks and see where the fluid is going.

I just suctioned the fluid out of mine a couple of times with a 100 or so miles between each removing about 350 milliliter each time (total 700-800 total). The fluid now is close to be the green tint that the CHF 11S fluid is out of the can. Not sure if there will be any benefit but I am thinking the fresh fluid cannot hurt -- and the CHS 11S was less than $17 for a liter bottle.

Best of luck with your CDI. They are really great cars as I am sure you have figured out.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
Have you ever done MAF checking/cleaning/replacing on yours?
I wonder how difficult and/or time consuming it is on '05-'06 CDI.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Have you ever done MAF checking/cleaning/replacing on yours?
I wonder how difficult and/or time consuming it is on '05-'06 CDI.
Not that difficult to do the MAF. I remove the air cleaner and the pipe that is connected to the MAF and the electrical connections. Spray with CRC MAF cleaner (Think that correct) really well and let it dry then button it up. It is kind of hard to get the spray on the electronic sensor so you really have to spray a lot to make sure it is cleaned. I also have pulled the EGR valve to check and see if it has a carbon deposits. It has been pretty clean but I spray with Carb cleaner -- easy to remove and replace.

I do these two when I am doing a 26K service along with the fuel filter, oil, etc.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
Not that difficult to do the MAF. I remove the air cleaner and the pipe that is connected to the MAF and the electrical connections. Spray with CRC MAF cleaner (Think that correct) really well and let it dry then button it up. It is kind of hard to get the spray on the electronic sensor so you really have to spray a lot to make sure it is cleaned. I also have pulled the EGR valve to check and see if it has a carbon deposits. It has been pretty clean but I spray with Carb cleaner -- easy to remove and replace.

I do these two when I am doing a 26K service along with the fuel filter, oil, etc.
do you actually leave MAF in place after exposure and spray it or removing it completely for spray cleaning?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
do you actually leave MAF in place after exposure and spray it or removing it completely for spray cleaning?
Leave it in place and spray it liberally with the cleaner. Make sure it is dry before you button it up and reconnect electrical connections.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
Thanks again for clarifying Ed ,
off I go in this soup of the heat & humid weather... to do Fuel and Air filters plus as you suggesting MAF "dusting"...... but first gotta go to buy spray for it..hope no MB specs for that and just simple can or two from AutoZone will do.
Will report of results if I get any worthy of mentioning ..))

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
Thanks again for clarifying Ed ,
off I go in this soup of the heat & humid weather... to do Fuel and Air filters plus as you suggesting MAF "dusting"...... but first gotta go to buy spray for it..hope no MB specs for that and just simple can or two from AutoZone will do.
Will report of results if I get any worthy of mentioning ..))
Ohh one more typical newbie question.... after changing filters there is no need ( or..?) to reset anything FSS/ECU related? cuz I'm kind of almost clueless how to.. lol

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Fuel and air=no need
Oil= reset
You're gonna be seeing service A,B,C,ETC... these letters refer to the number of hours for labor to do all of the required maintenance. A=1, B=2, C=3 etc...
Your owner's maintenance booklet has a comprehensive list of things to check and replace, soooo, if you see a service C then (theoratically if the resets are done correctly and reflect the actual work that was done) there is enought maintenance work to last 3 hours, the booklet also has the detailed numerical services with the appropriate mileage/time intervals, see the attached link to the complete manual.
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/2005_eclass_diesel.pdf

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Ohh one more typical newbie question.... after changing filters there is no need ( or..?) to reset anything FSS/ECU related? cuz I'm kind of almost clueless how to.. lol
I reset FSS with the oil changes at 13K intervals. I also keep a spreadsheet with details of all work done. I am a little peculiar about maintaining the car. Your fuel and cabin air filters are changed at 26K intervals.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
Thank you gentlemen I did indeed started my LOG in manual stating what exactly I did and at what mileage.
My service "D" is due in about 5000mi. Today I sort of established "starting point" :
changed Fuel & Air filters(while changing air.. did some heavy MAF spraying )..Oil and filter changed 200mi ago since none MB dealer who took car as trade-in decided to look "caring" and did oil change with some god knows what specs synth oil..... so how do I reset FSS ( for oil & filter)?
By the way kind of disappointed because after fuel filter change I got "Check Engine" light staring at me I read a lot of similar thread with same Message on cluster after fuel filter change - onbly couldn't find nor understand WHAT & How I should do to reset or "turn off" this "Check Engine" crappola.((..do I REALLY have to bring my sorry arse to stealership so they just going to turn Off this message at hefty price?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
I reset FSS with the oil changes at 13K intervals. I also keep a spreadsheet with details of all work done. I am a little peculiar about maintaining the car. Your fuel and cabin air filters are changed at 26K intervals.
On the gasoline the engine air filter change is 50k miles.

On the CDIs I was reading and and noticed the 180º turn of the filter as part of the service.
Is that something you do and does it extend the filter life or is it done every 13k miles?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Thank you gentlemen I did indeed started my LOG in manual stating what exactly I did and at what mileage.
My service "D" is due in about 5000mi. Today I sort of established "starting point" :
changed Fuel & Air filters(while changing air.. did some heavy MAF spraying )..Oil and filter changed 200mi ago since none MB dealer who took car as trade-in decided to look "caring" and did oil change with some god knows what specs synth oil..... so how do I reset FSS ( for oil & filter)?
By the way kind of disappointed because after fuel filter change I got "Check Engine" light staring at me I read a lot of similar thread with same Message on cluster after fuel filter change - onbly couldn't find nor understand WHAT & How I should do to reset or "turn off" this "Check Engine" crappola.((..do I REALLY have to bring my sorry arse to stealership so they just going to turn Off this message at hefty price?
If you have codes you need a OBDII reader that will let you see the codes and erase them. You can also try some of the autoparts stores -- they will read the code for you and if you are real nice erase them. A simple reader can be had for $50 more or less.

Attached is the Service Reset Indicator Guide -- instructions covers your car on how to reset FSS.

If you really want to be detailed try this attached SERVICE SHEET for Mercedes Benz Maintenance System (USA)

Says for model year 2006 but should also work for your 2005 CDI.

Attachments

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
Ohh one more typical newbie question.... after changing filters there is no need ( or..?) to reset anything FSS/ECU related?
Fuel and air=no need
Oil= reset
You have to reset FSS after you change engine or cabin air filter or fuel filter, it is under "additional work" - Service 2, 3 and 5 or under "items" if is due. Just follow the maintenance spread sheet and reset the service/services you did in FSS or you will be remainded if you take the car to the dealer.

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
By the way kind of disappointed because after fuel filter change I got "Check Engine" light staring at me I read a lot of similar thread with same Message on cluster after fuel filter change - only couldn't find nor understand WHAT & How I should do to reset or "turn off" this "Check Engine" crappola.((..do I REALLY have to bring my sorry arse to stealership so they just going to turn Off this message at hefty price?
Most likely, it is code for low fuel rail pressure. I had same problem last year except my CEL did not come on but the car entered limp mode when I was passing another car on interstate.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
an Update , but first of all Big Thanks to everyone who took time to enlighten me on typical newbie issues - you gentlemen are truly awesome.
Right before I was ready to start resetting journey got a phone call from buddy of mine requesting some help with his PC project , so off I went to the rescue and first thing I noticed CHECK Engine light was gone ( is it good or bad?) I decided to drive for a day and see if it will return , but so far after a day of driving City/Highway with repeatedly close to max accelerations No "check engine" back.
Just in case I made an appointment for coming Friday with local dealer , so they could check /read all unseen (so far) codes and reset /noted all my filters and oil change to FSS. I was quoted price of $115 and 1-1.5 hours of time.
Now I'm wondering since "check engine" iz gone and yet to come back...should I go with an appointment or just cancel it?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
Hard to say. The code will be stored in the event memory if curiousity is getting the best of you.

If you do not reset the FSS items in the wrong way it can log things that were done that did not do.
This may help you get it done. Just reset the things you did. Do not reset all items which people have done.
can't reset FSS (service light) for 06 E-500 - MBWorld.org Forums

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
You have to reset FSS after you change engine or cabin air filter or fuel filter, it is under "additional work" - Service 2, 3 and 5 or under "items" if is due. Just follow the maintenance spread sheet and reset the service/services you did in FSS or you will be remainded if you take the car to the dealer.
I'm not as disciplined as you are Isstay, I also find the 06 system more difficult to work with, it was intended to be dealer only until the fine folks of this forum figured it out. Trying to record the services done in the FSS; often resulted in the service indicator letter to jump from B to F to C and so on, clearly I was not doing it correctly and I do not have the STAR to work with.
The bottom line is that I use the FSS for oil changes and keep the rest of the maintenance record off FSS.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts