Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well up until yesterday I was really enjoying my SLKs-I had a 2000 that was pristine, and a 2005 with 900 miles on the odometer.
Today my wife has my 2005 and I sold my 2000 to my best friend. In return I walked away with a 2005 Lexus SC430, pearl white with alabaster leather and Birdseye maple wood trim courtesy of Yamaha Piano company. Also has every toy Lexus makes including the Mark Levinson (?) 240 watt stereo. Amazing car!!

I've had four SLKs and they all were wonderful, but I saw this Lexus in the showroom next door to my MB dealer and fell in love.[:D]

Please be gentle with me as it is my first time .

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Doctor K - 5/3/2005 1:50 PM

Also has every toy Lexus makes including the Mark Levinson (?) 240 watt stereo. Amazing car!!
Best factory car stereo by far. Kicks major a$$ on our HK in the SLK350/55

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Congratulations on your new auto!
I am sure you will find it an excellent ride with high quality fit and finish.
Let us know how the ride is.
Cheers![:)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Doctor K - 5/3/2005 11:50 AM

Well up until yesterday I was really enjoying my SLKs-I had a 2000 that was pristine, and a 2005 with 900 miles on the odometer.
Today my wife has my 2005 and I sold my 2000 to my best friend. In return I walked away with a 2005 Lexus SC430, pearl white with alabaster leather and Birdseye maple wood trim courtesy of Yamaha Piano company. Also has every toy Lexus makes including the Mark Levinson (?) 240 watt stereo. Amazing car!!

I've had four SLKs and they all were wonderful, but I saw this Lexus in the showroom next door to my MB dealer and fell in love.[:D]

Congrats! That is one beautiful car!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oh boy, how did you know that I have been struggling with the dilema of which car to buy: the M-B SLK vs. the Lexus SC 430. I know, I know, they are totally different cars. I've test driven the Lexus and the SLK 350. Of those two 'sports cars' I'd buy the Lexus. The M-B is sportier and more fun to drive when it's not in the shop. But the Lexus wins out over the SLK 350 on reliability, reliability, reliability, more comfortable seats, better stereo sound quality, nav system, etc. It loses out on sportiness and ride quality. But did I mention reliability?

The SLK 55 AMG is another beast altogether, IMO. The power, acceleration, uniqueness, etc. of a fully tricked out SLK 55 AMG outweigh the Lexus SC, I'm afraid. I'm waiting until the end of the year to save a few more bucks and for the 2006 model to come in and depreciate a bit before placing my order for the SLK 55 2006 model. In the meantime, I'm still considering the Lexus for a lot less bucks. If the M-B SLK 55 AMG doesn't get decent reliability ratings from JD Power later this year I'll be the owner of a Lexus myself. Hey, it's only a car....

·
Registered
SLK 55 born 03/05
58 Posts
Enjoy the "new" addition and reliability.

Nothing compares to the sex appeal of the 55 SLK,the quickness, and power.

Not sure how you can even compare this animal to the Lexus?

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
What Edmunds.com Says
Though not particularly invigorating to drive, the Lexus SC 430 counters with a serene top-down experience for a price considerably less than the competition.

Pros
Long list of comfort and convenience features, beautifully finished interior, silky V8 engine, retractable hardtop, Lexus quality.

Cons
Sparse cargo space, cramped (and nearly useless) rear seats, doesn't inspire anything more than leisurely cruising.

I always thought it was a bit large in the back end, and that the rear headrests looked strange perched 6" behind the front seats. Sort of a love-it or hate-it appearance. I had read Edmund's review and it didn't really inspire me to go have a look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats on the purchase but the SC430 is a bit of a land yacht. Understeers ++, wallows around and imprecise steering. Good for a cruise, but not for a drive. All IMHO of course.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
Not to belabour the point, but the SC430 and the Toyota Avalon are both quoted at 6.5 seconds for 0-60mph. Not good company for a "sports car".

I watched the Motorweek show that people were discussing in an earlier thread, which did feature the CLS, rather than the SLK55.[xx(]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Congrat.... SC is a nice car. Lexus is still lexus well known for cruiser... If i have the money i would get one too...[:)]

Cheers...

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't buy the Lexus to compare with the SLK55, I bought it because its beautiful. If I wanted a faster car I would have kept my twin turbo Porsche, or my old Viper, or my old Pantera. I'd rather have 50 more RMS watts than 50 horsepower at this stage of my life.
PS. My wife loves the SLK and that fact alone is worth the price of the Lexus.[:D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
That pearl white paint is spectacular- the best in the business!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Doctor K - 5/4/2005 3:00 PM
I didn't buy the Lexus to compare with the SLK55, I bought it because its beautiful.
Well, it takes all sorts I suppose. I don't see how even Stevie Wonder could describe the SC as beautiful, or even mildly attractive, but as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. ;-)

Having had a Lexus before (GS300) you can be assured that I would not go anywhere the MB equiv (E class?).
The quality in the product was outstanding and the service backup impeccable.

Having said that I bought the SLK for its engine, technology and looks. I discounted the Sc430 becasue of its performance, image and looks.
I am more than a little dismayed to see the litany of quality issues in this forum.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the May build vehicles have a few less bugs.

Oh yeah, resale value in OZ on the Lexii suck big time.

·
Registered
SLK 55 born 03/05
58 Posts
I agree with the concern regarding quality, but the issue is there is a select population that visits these boards. Either an impassioned enthusiast or a chronic complainer.

The vocal minority always whines so loud that they apear to be the majority.

I am sure that if you look at the numbers sold of either version, there are much more satisfied drivers with sh**-eating grins on their faces, than not. IMHO!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts