Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 500 SL
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1991 300D 2.5 Turbo with 300K miles on it.

Im stationed in Germany and came across a US Spec 300D being sold by a retired Col. He has owned it for the past 14 yrs and has 3" of receipts dating back to 1996. Very Clean. Paid $3500 for it.

Only problem I was told about up front was that the Cruise Control was broken and he never looked into it since he really never used it.

Problems I found were:

1.) Drivers side door sub-woofer is dead.

2.) Yes, the Cruise is Inoperative.

3.) I think the vehicle has a downshifting problem. (More later.)

4.) Top speed on flat roads is only 85 Mph.

He said it was going to need its 300K service done. I bought it with 300,346 miles on it.

Downshifting problem: If I stomp it from a dead stop. It will rev up thru each gear without any issues. If Im going approx 30-40 Mph and floor it. It wont downshift. It will sometimes downshift from 4th to 3rd but NEVER to 2nd. Even if Im going only 20 Mph. To compensate for the lack of acceleration, I can move the shifter to 2nd and floor it and pop it back up to drive and it will accelerate swiftly up thru the gears. I'm assuming there must be some sort of adjustment to resolve this issue. I hope this isnt the norm for it.

Top Speed: Im not sure what the top speed should be. I dont think 85 Mph is it thou. What should I expect? I just ordered fuel filters online and should have them in a week or so. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1991 W124.128
136 Posts
W124.128

Good luck with your car, also bought a 91 a couple of months ago. Top speed should be around 125 mph or 195 clicks - something not right with your car. Also look for assistance
at MercedesShop - Mercedes Benz Parts and Technical Information - more diesel owners there. Re slow shifting tranny look at kick-down switch under the gas pedal. Know a bit about these cars but not enough to give a lot advice. Cheers

Just bought a 1991 300D 2.5 Turbo with 300K miles on it.

Im stationed in Germany and came across a US Spec 300D being sold by a retired Col. He has owned it for the past 14 yrs and has 3" of receipts dating back to 1996. Very Clean. Paid $3500 for it.

Only problem I was told about up front was that the Cruise Control was broken and he never looked into it since he really never used it.

Problems I found were:

1.) Drivers side door sub-woofer is dead.

2.) Yes, the Cruise is Inoperative.

3.) I think the vehicle has a downshifting problem. (More later.)

4.) Top speed on flat roads is only 85 Mph.

He said it was going to need its 300K service done. I bought it with 300,346 miles on it.

Downshifting problem: If I stomp it from a dead stop. It will rev up thru each gear without any issues. If Im going approx 30-40 Mph and floor it. It wont downshift. It will sometimes downshift from 4th to 3rd but NEVER to 2nd. Even if Im going only 20 Mph. To compensate for the lack of acceleration, I can move the shifter to 2nd and floor it and pop it back up to drive and it will accelerate swiftly up thru the gears. I'm assuming there must be some sort of adjustment to resolve this issue. I hope this isnt the norm for it.

Top Speed: Im not sure what the top speed should be. I dont think 85 Mph is it thou. What should I expect? I just ordered fuel filters online and should have them in a week or so. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1982 500 SL
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I fixed my shifting problem. I basically used this thread to figure out my own.:

722.3 and 722.416 series transmission adjustments

What a world of difference.

I still do not have that much "thrust" past 45 MPH.

I did a raw 0-60 time and measured around 25 seconds.

I can feel the Turbo torque thru 2nd gear but nothing noticeable past that.

Top speed is basically 85 Mph. No real push past that.

I think the Cruise Control module is still under the hood. (Metal box with a rod connecting to the throttle linkage.) I want to try to get it running later.

I have a small plastic hose that is cut at a diagonal that seeps small amounts of oil. No drippings but a bit of wet residue all around the tube. Its near the Cruise Control box. Not sure if its a purposely cut line for draining or if its a vacuum line. Its very small in diameter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts